D-100 Altitude Encoder

Roger_Lee

Good Morning Dynon,

I have a D-100 & D-120. My altitude encoder that is hooked up to my King transponder does not work. This is a brand new Flight Design CT. It is factory installed and has 25hrs.

Is there a feature in the D-100 that turns the altitude encoder on or off or maybe something in setup I can change to get this encoder to operate? The transponder when set to VFR 1200 works, just no altitude encoder mode"C". The small black box that says "altitude encoder converter" is in place and connects to the back of the transponder.

Thanks,

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There's only one user setting that could disable the encoder-

Menu -> More -> Setup -> More -> Altenc

The format needs to be set to "1". If it's not, toggle it until it reads "1". If it doesn't work then, you have a hardware or wiring failure.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, it is possible that the encoder converter module was not connected and operation verified before the aircraft left the factory or dealer, so there may be a connectivity aspect to this as well.

Roger_Lee

Thanks Dynon,

You were right about the EFIS was not set up to read the encoder. It was set on zero and not one. A few punch of the buttons and we are all fixed. It reads within 10' of my readout.

Thank You,
Roger Lee

mikey1ten

I have a question about the altimeter/encoder/transponder operation. What is the normal operation mode to use when you have the encoder adapter module wired in to the d-100/transponder for altitude read-out with an older xponder? The directions say to set the d-100 to 29.92 in order for the d-100 to readout the altitude the xponder is transmitting. Does this mean you have to have the d-100 set to 29.92 IN ORDER for the xponder to transmit the correct altitude or, just in order for you to see what it is transmitting? It is nice to be able to see what it is transmitting but, I would rather be able to use it as a regular altimeter when I am flying. I am sure I just read something wrong because Dynon has usually had their ducks in a row with everything else. If it does indeed have to be set to 29.92 all the time, I would rather buy another encoder and have it separately wired to the xponder so I can always see the regular altimeter readout. Thanks. Michael.

bicyclops

Micheal,
Encoders always send as if the altimeter setting were 29.92. Changing the setting on your EIFS

bicyclops

Hmmm. somehow that got sent b4 I was finished. Controllers have a readout on their radar display which is corrected for current altimiter setting. Everybody's transponders are transmitting as if set to 29.92. Your EIFS altimeter setting doesn't affect what's being sent.

Pax,

Ed

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry we missed this earlier.

You don't have to leave the altimeter at 29.92- you can set it to whatever is current. The output to the transponder will always be as if it was set to 29.92 even if it isn't, as required.