D-120 display brightness

andrewulrick

I love flying!
I am in the process of buying a glass panel SportCruiser PS28. It has an EFIS-D100 linked to an EMS D120.

The EFIS display achieves full brightness but the EMS only "half" brightness.

How can this be corrected?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How are you determining the brightness? This will help us understand if there is an issue and how to correct it.

Hiltonb

I love flying!
I am familiar with this aircraft and problem. The EMS is at about 60% of the efis. You can dim and brighten on either but the EMS no longer goes as bright. Aircraft 5 years old 160hrs.
It is not on auto dim but if you switch on auto dim it does not change situation.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon Avionics manufactured "Normal brightness" and "Super-Bright" versions of the EFIS-D100 and EMS-D120 (and also the FlightDEK-D180). Several years ago, we discontinued the "Normal brightness" versions. In this case, it's likely the EFIS-D100 has a Super-Bright display, and the EMS-D120 has a normal brightness display. You can tell the difference by the P/N on the back of the unit. If the P/N ends in -000, it was manufactured with a normal brightness display. If the P/N ends in -001, it was manufactured with a Super Bright display.

An upgrade from normal brightness to Super-Bright is still available - the cost is $400 (plus return shipping).

If the "full brightness" of the EMS has reduced over time, the likeliest explanation is that one of the backlighting components has diminished its full brightness, or failed.

Contact Dynon Avionics Technical Support - support AT dynonavionics DOT com to arrange for an upgrade or repair.

I am familiar with this aircraft and problem. The EMS is at about 60% of the efis. You can dim and brighten on either but the EMS no longer goes as bright. Aircraft 5 years old 160hrs.
It is not on auto dim but if you switch on auto dim it does not change situation.

Hiltonb

I love flying!
Thank you for your response. I am quite sure they are the same models as they were fitted by the factory at the same time and have until recently worked with equal brightness for over 5 years. So I guess the problem must be with back lighting. If it is as you suggest is it an expensive fix?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Failure of one of the backlights would be handled as a typical non-warranty repair, which is $250 for an EMS-D120, plus return shipping.

Thank you for your response. I am quite sure they are the same models as they were fitted by the factory at the same time and have until recently worked with equal brightness for over 5 years. So I guess the problem must be with back lighting. If it is as you suggest is it an expensive fix?