D-180 EFIS shows wrong wind direction, speed

jaroberts2pe

The D-180 EFIS shows the wind direction always from the direction of flight and the speed is always 99. What am I missing in the set-up? Also the clock seems to reset when I start the engine even though the keep-alive circuit keeps it active the rest of the time. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jay

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sounds like something is up with your GPS speed. In particular, if it was outputting something that was zero or near it, it would always look like you're going nowhere even though TAS is correct.

What kind of GPS are you using?

Also, if you pull up the HSI screen with the GPS data up and snap a picture in flight of what you're seeing, that'll help us diagnose what you're seeing.

We generally recommend you don't connect KA anymore, as in some installations it can cause excessive current draw from your aircraft battery. Also, most GPSes will set zulu time correctly on our product every time it gets a lock.

jaroberts2pe

The GPS is a Garmin 430 which does not update time. And it is connected via the HS-34 and driving the HSI page.

jaroberts2pe

OK, I've reattached the wings and got her back in the air and here is a picture with the HSI screen and EFIS showing wind direction and speed. Any suggestions???

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 145

PhantomPholly

Yeah - resize the photo smaller!

:D

Your picture doesn't show IAS on the left hand side of the screen. Do you happen to know what it was?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Your compass says you were flying 273. Your GPS says you were tracking over the ground almost 180 degrees off- 079. Only one of these can be right. Which one was? Were you flying East or West at the time the pic was taken?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So that tells us the EFIS is right and the GPS is wrong. Next time you fly, look at the track on the GPS and on our screen and see if they don't match. If they do match, it's a Garmin issue and you'll need to contact them.

What software version are you running? We did have a track bug with the 430 if you were in certain places on the earth, that was fixed well over a year ago I believe.

jaroberts2pe

These pictures were taken on the taxiway, moving slowely west. The Garmin 430 shows the correct track, consistent with the DG and thw wiskey compass. Even the TruTrak auto pilot which will fly the GPS flies the correct way. The only discrepency seems to be the track on the EFIS HSI page. How can this be? Everyone is out of step except my son??
Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 109

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I see you're in Florida, which is the exact place we first found the bug in the HS-34 that I mentioned. So we really need to know what version of software is on the HS-34 and the display, since chances are very good an update will fix this.

jaroberts2pe

I understand the version in the HS-34 is the same as the EFIS, which is version 4.0.0. Guess I need to download the new 5.1.1 and install and see how that works.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yeah, 4.0 had that problem for sure so an update will fix it.