D1 goes into tragedy

Flyboy_AK

I love flying in Alaska!
Hi, bought a D1 last week and took it out on two hour plus flights. On both flights during cruise the D1 went into an extreme unusual attitude and showed no loss of GPs warning. I turned it off the first time & connected remote GPS antenna and re-powered. It seemed OK then did it again. The next day, 20 minutes in with remote antenna it did it again. I was in level cruise both times, & D1 should have good SV sky view alone, and with external antenna for sure. Other interesting thing is firmware states 1.0.524 which is higher rev number than listed most current on website. Do I have some beta firmware? Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It definitely shouldn't be doing that. What kind of aircraft is this in? Can you send us a PM with your email address so we can follow up with you directly?

Flyboy_AK

I love flying in Alaska!
After doing some troubleshooting and data file collection I sent the unit back and a quick replacement has been delivered. I would like to say the support team and developer Ed were very attentive to my problem and concerned about the issue and dedicated to see if it was a hardware problem with the unit, or a design issue. It appears it was an isolated hardware problem with my D-1. Will be flying the replacement unit tomorrow. Support was top notch.

flying_john

I love flying!
I bought a D1 from Spruce and Speciality at Sun n Fun and got to try it for the first time last weekend. On the first test flight was just for 10 minutes in the local practice area and it all looked pretty good.

Then the next flight was a longer X country and after about 15 mins the D1 was indicating a permanant 10 degree roll. After switching off and back on several times it just kept rolling to one side. At first I thought we were flying out of balance, or were actually flying with a 10 degree roll, but we were in perfect VMC and we clearly were staright and level. It was only once we began our descent to our destination did it all start working properly again. Its as if it doesnt like flying fast or with any small amount of turbulance or vibration.

Goin to test it again next weekend and make sure its all mounted perfectly in line with the aircraft roll axis and square and try and get some useful data on when / why it fails.

Any tips on what could be wrong would be appreciated.

John - dissapointed U.K :mad:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
John - can you PM us your email address? We'd like to follow up with you directly. A couple of folks have experienced some vibration-related issues, but, I'd like to put you in touch with our engineering staff directly for follow-up.

Flyboy_AK

I love flying in Alaska!
Flew my replacement D-1 for 4 hours this weekend, worked flawlessly. Seems much more stable than my first defective unit, so must have been a hardware issue.

flying_john

I love flying!
Glad you got it all working now. I hope mine will be sorted out too, problem for me is I am across the pond in the UK, so can forsee issues in returning it all the way back to the USA.

flying_john

I love flying!
John - can you PM us your email address? We'd like to follow up with you directly. A couple of folks have experienced some vibration-related issues, but, I'd like to put you in touch with our engineering staff directly for follow-up.

Did send a PM but nothing heard. I am at john-luck at virginmedia dot com

Bernisoac

I love flying!
Hi,

Bought a D1  S/N 201 925  about six month ago.
Used it for the first time now (long winter in Germany).

First it didn't come on when I pressed the button, even it was fully charged.
Connecting it to the charger again did the trick.
Switching off is no problem, so the button seems to be okay.

After I used it for a while, switching on works, when it sits for a few days I need to push that button a dozen times. Pushing short, long or very long makes no difference.

Second. During straight and level flight in still air it once in a while goes from 0 bank to 10deg left over to 10deg right bank within a second before going back to wings level.

The unit is absolute parallel to the pitch axis (or the panel) and it has been corrected for pitch +/- 0 and roll 1deg L.

I always have good GPS reception. All bars.

Any ideas whether these problems are mechanical or software?

Best regards

Bernisoac

I love flying!
In the meantime I got a call back from Dynon and we agreed to send the unit to them. They even will ship the replacement to Germany despite the fact that I bought it in Florida. Great service that I really like!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]