D100/AP74 no NAV capaility

ASI

I have been runnung a D100(Ver5.4.3) and AP74 and a Garmin 295 for the last while and still cannot get the autopilot to work in nav mode, however hdg, trk appear to function correctly. The CDI feature is also not active. The D100 appears to communicate with the GPS (see attached photo), as the magenta data is presented in the HSI window. I have configured the serial setting bewtween 4800/9600/auto , does not make any difference to the nav requirement. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• D100_1.JPG
    D100_1.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 164

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You need to make sure the 295 output mode is configured as NORMAL, not FAST. This is in advanced serial setup in the 295 setup menu.

ASI

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately small typo on my end the GPS is actually a 296(not 295), I did not find an advanced setup or configuration for "normal" If I recall prior to updating to 5.4.3 the CDI function wa soperstional.

ASI

D100/AP74 Ver 5.4.3 sw, interesting thing happened over the weekend. My VSI suddenly stopped working , only shows a series of "----" , see attached photo. In additional when I press the HDG button on the AP74, normally this invokes the ap, with an "on" indicator in lower left . The green led of the HDG button illuminates but the D100 still indicates ap "off". If I go into the D100 menu and can turn on the ap , I get the correct response. I can set heading bug and baro from the AP74 , so apparently the two units are communication.

Attachments

• VSI-AP.JPG
    VSI-AP.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 151

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You've changed your left info item from VSI to ENGINE. Go to MENU > INFO > VSI to fix that.

What you're describing on the AP74 and autopilot behavior is what we'd expect to happen. Pressing HDG will arm the HDG mode, but you do need to press the big AP button (or the equivalent in the menu) to engage the autopilot. Does the AP74's AP button work?

ASI

One issue still remains, why does the NAV mode not work with my Garmin 296? See previous pictures.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
This still sounds like the data output rate is set to fast, not normal, on the 296. You're looking for the ADVANCED NMEA OUTPUT SETUP section of the 296 manual, which is on pg 119 of rev D of their manual.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
To be clear, you want NORMAL.

On the 296, it's MENU > MENU > SETUP > COM1/2 (as appropriate) > SERIAL DATA FORMAT > NMEA IN / NMEA OUT. Then press MENU, ADVANCED NMEA SETUP, then set OUTPUT RATE to NORMAL

ASI

Thanks for the info, I did not realize there was another "menu" level on this page. Configuration wa schanged as recommended, and functionality now appears correct.