D100 does not like the cold after 5.1.1 update

perryc

I updated my D100/D120 pair from 4.2 to 5.1.1 over the weekend include removing the always hot wire. Everything worked fine for several flights until yesterday. I left the plane outside overnight and the temps dropped to about -12C (yeah Canada). When I started the flosty plane the D100 would not power up, tried seveal master on/off's but no change. After running for 5-10 min or so the cabin began to thaw out the D100 just powered up on it's own with a temp out of spec error or something like that and then operated normally. I'm sure I've fired things up on colder days than that with 4.2. Just wanted to know what going on.

7965A

I have recently had the same issue (though not quite as cold temps). First time this happened (ambient T 20F) I checked fuses etc. and could find nothing wrong. (D120 worked fine under these conditions) Added a bit of heat from a heat gun and the D100 powered up on its own. Flew someplace warmer for the night and everything was fine the next day. Yesterday (back home, ambient T about 15F), same problem, solved by a bit of heat.

Another possible clue is that when I go to shut down, normally I get a 30-second warning from the backup battery. No warning this time, just shut down as if there were no backup battery. I have never seen any warnings that my internal battery was low.

I do not, and never have had, the Keep Alive circuit installed. No such problems last year, but this was with older software.

Would like to know if this is a common problem and, if so, how to solve it. Well, actually I would like to know how to solve it whether it is common or not....

thanks,
greg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think the upgrade might be coincidence, as we haven't changed anything in temperature handling lately, to my knowledge. If this is more than a one-time issue, give us a call at 425-402-0433 - we might need to look at your units. They should boot down to -30C, by the way.