D100 GPS input to DG display

OneCharlieKilo

I upgraded my firmware  to take advantage of the new DG display but can't get the GPS input to show up.  Here's where I think I am at on troubleshooting:  either I have a wiring/connection problem (I don't think so), or the Lowrance 2000C NMEA output is not supported by the firmware.
I get the DG display up just fine, but it does not appear to be receiving the GPS input (can't get the gps fields showing up when I select navigation mode on gps).

I panel-mounted a hand-held Lowrance 2000C GPS along with the D-100 and a Trio EZ-Pilot (not flying yet).  The EZ-Pilot is getting the GPS data stream and based on running in gps sim mode, is working properly as best I can tell on the ground (the Trio flashes a "no gps" message when it's not getting a proper NMEA stream).  
The GPS "data out" line goes to a "GPS/SL-30" selector switch on the panel, with two wires crimped into the fast-on connector at the switch so the extra wire could be run back to the EZ-Pilot, so I know the GPS data is getting to the switch.  The DB9 connector for Dynon serial input is connected properly as I've had no trouble updating checklists and firmware.  The GPS data line from the switch (when GPS is selected) goes to a DB connector (pin3/22 D100 recieve) connected to the proven Dynon serial connector and although I don't have an o-scope to check the signal, checking via meter shows good connections.

In checking the required NMEA data stream, the Dynon manual (on-line) says the following $GP sentences are used: RMC, RMB, GGA, BOD, APB
The Lowrance 2000C NMEA signal output configuration option allows selection of:  GLL, GGA, APB, RMC, RMB, GSA, GSV

It looks like the problem is that the $GPBOD sentence is missing from the Lowrance NMEA data stream.  My question for Dynon Tech support is:  

Is this analysis correct, and if so, are there plans to support the Lowrance NMEA output in future firmware upgrades?

My panel decisions and purchases were already made when this firmware upgrade was announced, inlcuding the SL-30 and Lowrance GPS, and I was happy to be able to add the SL-30 signal to the D100.  But I was more excited about the idea of having the GPS data on the Dynon.  I hope that's still an option - if not now, at least in a not too distant firmware upgrade!

Thanks for any help,
Chris
RV-6A

Bill_Denton

I upgraded my firmware  to take advantage of the new DG display but can't get the GPS input to show up.  Here's where I think I am at on troubleshooting:  either I have a wiring/connection problem (I don't think so), or the Lowrance 2000C NMEA output is not supported by the firmware.
I get the DG display up just fine, but it does not appear to be receiving the GPS input (can't get the gps fields showing up when I select navigation mode on gps).

I panel-mounted a hand-held Lowrance 2000C GPS along with the D-100 and a Trio EZ-Pilot (not flying yet).  The EZ-Pilot is getting the GPS data stream and based on running in gps sim mode, is working properly as best I can tell on the ground (the Trio flashes a "no gps" message when it's not getting a proper NMEA stream).  
The GPS "data out" line goes to a "GPS/SL-30" selector switch on the panel, with two wires crimped into the fast-on connector at the switch so the extra wire could be run back to the EZ-Pilot, so I know the GPS data is getting to the switch.  The DB9 connector for Dynon serial input is connected properly as I've had no trouble updating checklists and firmware.  The GPS data line from the switch (when GPS is selected) goes to a DB connector (pin3/22 D100 recieve) connected to the proven Dynon serial connector and although I don't have an o-scope to check the signal, checking via meter shows good connections.

In checking the required NMEA data stream, the Dynon manual (on-line) says the following $GP sentences are used: RMC, RMB, GGA, BOD, APB
The Lowrance 2000C NMEA signal output configuration option allows selection of:  GLL, GGA, APB, RMC, RMB, GSA, GSV

It looks like the problem is that the $GPBOD sentence is missing from the Lowrance NMEA data stream.  My question for Dynon Tech support is:  

Is this analysis correct, and if so, are there plans to support the Lowrance NMEA output in future firmware upgrades?

My panel decisions and purchases were already made when this firmware upgrade was announced, inlcuding the SL-30 and Lowrance GPS, and I was happy to be able to add the SL-30 signal to the D100.  But I was more excited about the idea of having the GPS data on the Dynon.  I hope that's still an option - if not now, at least in a not too distant firmware upgrade!

Thanks for any help,
Chris
RV-6A
Your problem could be that the firmware to support the HSI functions has not yet been released...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Bill has it right - the current firmware release incorporates the DG - the next one, which is due shortly, will add the HSI capability.

OneCharlieKilo

Thanks for the response, I guess there's something I didn't read close enough. Looking forward to the next firmware release.

Chris

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Arg. You gave us the exact question we needed to ask ourselves, but we didn't catch it and it now looks like we have a bug to fix with our next firmware update.

The GPBOD sentence contains course information, which allows us to "spin" the HSI so that we can accurately track the route that's programed into your GPS.

So it looks like you are right Chris - since the Lowrance 2000C GPS (and maybe others - we're looking into it) does not put out this sentence, with the new firmware release, course can not be determined. We are already looking into how we'll fix this in our next firmware release. If there is no way to infer course from the Lowrance's output, we can add controls so that you can spin the course manually.

AUSboy

My panel decisions and purchases were already made when this firmware upgrade was announced, inlcuding the SL-30 and Lowrance GPS, and I was happy to be able to add the SL-30 signal to the D100. But I was more excited about the idea of having the GPS data on the Dynon. I hope that's still an option - if not now, at least in a not too distant firmware upgrade!

Thanks for any help,
Chris
RV-6A

:'( :'( Me too - Now I am sad.....my aircraft is only two weeks old and I too based my purchases on the earlier announcements.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If this can be fixed, we'll fix it. We have someone sending us a data output from a Lowrance unit and we'll see what data is in there. At this point it's only one report, so if anyone else has a Lowrance GPS and hooks it up to the EFIS, please let us know how it goes. According to the Lowrance manuals, the sentence we need should be in the output. If it's not working, it's because their documentation is either wrong or the implement it differently than we thought.

AUSboy

Thanks guys - I have noticed one thing since I started following these forums about six months ago is that you always acknowledge any issues and set about resolving them.

Hope you can work a solution ::)

OneCharlieKilo

Tech Support,
Thanks for posting the additional information on my initial question about the NMEA sentence data.  I haven't had a chance to install the new firmware release but will do so this week or this weekend and let you know how the D-100 reacts/looks with the Lowrance 2000C input.

The NMEA sentence definitions I reviewed show the BOD sentence (missing from the Lowrance output) includes only the initial Bearing from origin to destination, not updated dynamically so shows just the bearing of current leg of navigation flight plan the gps is running off of regardless of actual current bearing to destination.

The Lowrance signal doesn't have the BOD sentence but does have the GPAPB sentence (autopilot format "B") which has not only the BOD initial bearing origin to destination but also current bearing to destination for active leg, cross-track error, and a few other things.  Hopefully you can implement the APB data in the next firmware update so those of us with the Lowrance gps units can take advantage of the full capability of your newest features.
Basis for the above is what my 2000C shows for NMEA output and info on several independent NMEA web sites such as http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#nmea  If I have confused or misinterpreted any of this, please let me know.  

Keep up the great work, I don't have my RV flying yet but am impressed with what I've seen from your product and look forward to flying it hopefully someday soon.

Chris Hand

OneCharlieKilo

Actually, the manual update says your firmware does use the APB string so maybe the missing BOD is not an issue??
I'll connect the 2000C with the upgrade and see what happens but any info on whether the Lowrance output has been proven to be already supported is appreciated.

Chris

AUSboy

Just going to bump this.....

Chris - re your previous post did you have any luck with the latest firmware upgrade?

DynonSupport - Have you been able to clarify if its possible to interface the Lowrance with the latest upgrade. Or is it back in the pipeline for later on? :-/

Cheers
Roger

OneCharlieKilo

Roger -
Some of the fields work, others don't with the current firmware. Dynon has the Lowrance data streams and has said the Lowrance will be supported with all their GPS DG/HSI functionality in the next firmware upgrade (not sure when that will be, but hopefully not too long and at my progress pace I'm guessing it'll be before I am flying).

Chris

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We did have a few customers send us captures of their Lowrance units and it looks like we'll be able to do it in the next firmware update. We don't have a solid date on that yet, but it is being actively worked on. We fully expect to be able to support it in the future.