D100 OAT initially not found

morhall

Glasair IIRG
New Dynon owner with a recent Glasair 2 RG purchase.

Setup:
D100
HS34
Garmin 430W
Garmin SL30
2 axis auto pilot servos installed.
Vision Microsystems 800 series engine monitoring

Probably some other relevant details I'm missing, but that's the gist of it.

I noticed my winds were in the ludicrous range. 40kts+ and out of a questionable direction. I tried recalibrating the compass and went for a flight. Still wasn't useful.

At some point I noticed that the OAT was showing 57C or some such high number when my Vision Micro OAT was showing 31.

I have begun to try and troubleshoot the OAT issue and when I turn on the system and go to the info page for OAT I get "OAT Not Found" although the setup page says it is a Type 2.

I went for a flight later and noticed that again later in the flight I had an OAT indication of 55C.

Does it take some time for the OAT to connect to the D100? I believe it is connected to the remote compass and I remember the compass calibration recommending 10 minutes of warmup before trying to calibrate.

I have yet to find the Dynon OAT probe. So that is another weekend task in order to determine if it is working properly or not. The Vision Micro OAT is in the right side cabin vent but I have found that inaccurate since the air is warmed as it flows past the cowl prior to being pulled into that vent.

Thanks for any input on how quickly I should expect to have the OAT found.

Morgan

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The OAT should show up instantaneously, and if there's a wiring problem you'll see what you're seeing the moment it goes away. So this does sound like a problem with the probe itself or the wiring that goes to it. The OAT probe is physically connected to the remote magnetometer in the configuration you have, so that might help you chase down the wires. The probe itself looks like this: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/D180_Feature_OAT.html

morhall

Glasair IIRG
Thanks for the reply and confirmation. I had found the picture of the probe on the website previously, but I haven't located it on the airplane yet.

I'm guessing the magnetometer may be in the aft portion of the fuselage if I remember the install instructions calling that out as a decent location.

The investigation continues.

Morgan