D100 -suddenly 'remote compass not detected' -why

FELX

My system is the usual D100, D120 Autopilot etc.

After many hours of use with no problems I now get the 'remote compass not detected' message and no compass reading. For a while this was intermittent that is to say either the message would appear and then revert to normal or sometimes the opposite.

When the message appeared I eventually discovered that disconnecting the compass by removing the 9pin DIN and replacing it solved the problem. However this is now less effective and the problem seems virtually solid.

I have found now that when I  remove/replace the connector it will clear the message, the compass band appears and moves but then the error message re-appears after about 1 or 2 seconds.

As the wiring etc. would not seem to be the problem do I have to assume that the compass itself is faulty? How can this be tested?

Thanks,
Terry

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So definitely check the wiring. Since it sounds like this was an intermittent issue that got worse, that's where we'd look first. Check both for pins that aren't fully seated in their connectors, as well as broken wires.

Beyond that, get in touch with our support staff at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com for further help with this one.

FELX

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
I flew the aircraft today and on power switch-on the compass came up fine but died on me after about a minute. This was without the engine running so the amount of vibration etc was minimal. After that it wouldn't work apart from the odd effect described above where unplugging the 9 pin and re-connecting it caused the compass ribbon to move back and forth for about 1 or 2 seconds before dying.

I agree I probably have to look at the wiring 'though this is a tough job! Although I didn't check today I think the system configuration menu item comes up with the right result.

Regards,
Terry

jakej

Terry - I'd say the emphasis here is making sure the pins are properly seated, using a gentle wire pull test, into the dsub connectors :)

FELX

HI,
Thanks for the further response. I have done a very careful check of the wiring today and am pretty sure that it is OK. I have also remembered that 2 or 3 months ago the compass suddenly gave odd readings. I did a re-calibration and all was well until this problem arose.

I am beginning to feel that the compass is faulty - or at least I think I need to eliminate that possibility if it is not the case.

I am in the UK. Should I approach a UK dealer? The compass has been removed from the aircraft.

Comments on a next step would be helpful.

Regards,
Terry

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Our dealer in the UK - Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies , www.gps.co.uk - has technical support for our products. Or you can get in touch with our support team directly at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com.