D100 update using windows 10

Gjan288

Trying to update my D100 using Windows 10 and the USB to Serial cable I bought from Dynon. Keep getting an error message on the Dynon support program saying “Driver error. Unable to use Comm 8”. I’ve tried all USB ports and also changed the number designated for each USB port through device manager. However, when I connect everything my D100 screen goes to the yellow screen like it is downloading but then I get the error message and it never downloads.

Attachments

• B162E23D-0558-458E-B4E0-48BA8BD8E7B7.jpeg
    B162E23D-0558-458E-B4E0-48BA8BD8E7B7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • FB6BB235-4936-433D-A706-74E538E23FE4.jpeg
    FB6BB235-4936-433D-A706-74E538E23FE4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
My experience is, that WIndows 10 does not support all serial dongles correctly anymore (chipset), I had to buy a new dongle with windows 10 in order to use it correctly. Need to dig into my history to find the one I'm using.

Rhino

There has been an issue for several years with counterfeit FTDI chips out of China being used in USB to serial adapters. They seemed to work okay until Microsoft tightened Windows security, starting with Win 7 or Win 8. I suspect the earlier cables sold by Dynon may have been a casualty of this issue. A new cable might very well fix the problem.

EDIT: Apparently counterfeits are on the rise again with the ongoing supply problems with chips. It seems there's lots of counterfeits on Amazon and eBay. You should be able to get what you need here:

Make sure you get their drivers too, and load the drivers before plugging in the cable. Windows may well install the wrong drivers if you don't.

Last edited:

IntAvTech

There has been an issue for several years with counterfeit FTDI chips out of China being used in USB to serial adapters. They seemed to work okay until Microsoft tightened Windows security, starting with Win 7 or Win 8. I suspect the earlier cables sold by Dynon may have been a casualty of this issue. A new cable might very well fix the problem.

EDIT: Apparently counterfeits are on the rise again with the ongoing supply problems with chips. It seems there's lots of counterfeits on Amazon and eBay. You should be able to get what you need here:

Make sure you get their drivers too, and load the drivers before plugging in the cable. Windows may well install the wrong drivers if you don't.
It's even a little deeper (and petty) than that.
FTDI invalidated their own drivers for even genuine chips of a certain vintage rather than allow the counterfeits to work properly. This was after tremendous backlash from an update they issued that literally bricked counterfeits. The device descriptors in the new driver actually contain some whining about how the chipset is old and no longer supported.
You can use Zadig to install a working driver on Windows 10/11 (assuming the device wasn't affected by the update that would permanently set it's USB PID to "0") or just purchase a newer serial-to-USB interface. Hopefully you'll get one with a chipset from a vendor that doesn't sabotage their own drivers.