D10A encoder mis-reporting

Vic

In my Lancair 320, (GTX330ES xponder) to solve an ADSB intermittent failure issue, I switched from an old parallel data encoder to the serial data encoder of the D10A which solved the problem. However, after about a year and a half, I began having ADSB failures again, related to baro-altitude. (This from the PAPR following a flight) I then switched from the D10A encoder to the D6 encoder and the issue resolved.
I suppose this indicates a failure of the D10A encoder which may mean another trip back to Dynon for repair. Has anyone else experienced this with the built-in encoder? Is there a chance that a software update might solve the problem rather than an expensive repair event? I did not include the serial data lines when installing so I’d have to go back in and add the data-in lines. Thanks in advance for any info.
KEPM

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It could be the encoder, but it's at least equally likely that one of the gray code wires is broken if it's working at all. So I'd check that first. Each of those wires changes its voltage as altitude changes (kind of like a binary number, but a different encoding). The encoder actually isn't an expensive part if you end up needing it, though.

Vic

It could be the encoder, but it's at least equally likely that one of the gray code wires is broken if it's working at all. So I'd check that first. Each of those wires changes its voltage as altitude changes (kind of like a binary number, but a different encoding). The encoder actually isn't an expensive part if you end up needing it, though.
Nope, not a missing Gray code wire, it a serial connection. I’m reasonably certain it’s the D10A encoder because upon reviewing a recent trip, my altitude was reported 1000’ higher than I actually was during one of the data bursts. I saw it on FlightAware after the flight. Thanks for giving it a think though!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I totally misread that (or rather, didn't read closely enough).

I'm not sure I've heard of a serial port failing intermittently like you're describing - if it's works at all, it's likely working fine. So I'd still look at those serial wires/connects (it's really only 1 active TX wire, with a ground reference). Check the D25 connector at the EFIS too (and D9 at the other, if it's connected that way)

Vic

It isn’t the serial port that’s failing, it’s the actual encoder that is sending corrupt data intermittently. At least that’s what I’ve determined.

But serial ports do fail. I have a TruTrak Sorceror A/P that has a failed serial port for the GPS data in. Yet the GPSS serial data in line is just fine. If memory serves, the ports in the old days were discrete 14 pin chips which could have individual signal lines go bad.