D10A GPS interface options

sticktimebob

Would like to link up two D10A's (one as horizontal indicator linked to SL-30, second as HSI / DG linked to GPS). Are there options as far as GPS panel mounts. Not excited about the expence of the 430 series units. Will the GNC 300 XL unit interface with the D10A if all I need it for is DG / HSI function? I can use the SL-30 for glide slope/ ILS / VOR. Seems this would be a nice set up if I could spend 3K for the 300XL instead of the 7K for the 430. (I'm open for suggestions) Bob, RV-7A

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We can get data from the 300XL just fine, so it will display on the HSI.

The real question is- do you want to do WAAS GPS approaches? The 300Xl won't give you any vertical guidance and isn't WAAS certified, so you are more limited in what you can do than with a 430W.

sticktimebob

No. I'm sure I'd love WAAS, but have no plans on flying this thing hard IFR, more or less just in case I have to. I'm willing to go with the 300XL for 5K less if I can be sure it would play nice with the D10A. I assume they use the same protocol, but can't seem to get a 100% answer from my local source. Also have a Trutrak single servo AP which I want to slave to the GPS as well but am not sure if that unit will allow me to do that if it's linked up to the D10A. I really hope this layout will work, because the panel layout in the RV-7 panel is perfect with this set up.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 300XL and 430 talk the same format for the GPS data. You need ARINC-429 and our HS34 to get data out of the NAV portion of the 430, but not the GPS. Just run the single serial wire to your D10A and you'll be all set.

You can split this serial wire and run it to the TT AP at the same time - or just wait a few months and buy our AP ;)

Thomas_Schaad

I was flying for a while with a combo of a GNC250XL and a SL30, hooked up to the D10A, just about the way you're looking at it. I was working just fine and I don't see a need for a HS34 either in this set up. The GPS CDI can be set on the GNC trough the OBS function as well. As the 250XL and the 300XL are pretty much similar, I am sure it will work the way you intend to set it up.

Due to the limited map display on the 250XL I did upgrade then to the 430. But if you don't want to spend the money for a 430 and you're still interested in a nice map, why not go for a panel mount 496? this gives the option of interfacing with traffic, weather etc. just in case of. But the way you look at with the 300XL is a nice setup as well, that will work and serve you perfectly.

Kind regards

Thomas  ;)