D10A: Struggling with heading calibration

Leonard_Smith_nz

Support,

Performed the following:
1. Entered Magnetic intensity and inclination values
2. Attempted 'Ground North' procedure...kept getting 'Not enough data' error message (swinging 540d over approx 3min interval)
3. Gave up...went flying
4. Tried 'Airborne North' calibration...appeared to work (Did right and left turn)
5. Upon landing repeated 'Ground North' going VERY slowly...this time it seemed to worked BUT
6. Now it complained about not enough data for 'Airborne North' !!
7. Had to go home..

Few days later:
1. Take off and repeat 'Airborne North' procedure and what does it say....Not enough data for 'Ground North' !!
2. Grrrr...this is silly

I was my understanding that these procedure could be done independently of one another.

Please help
Leonard

Ps. I'm still confused about why Dynon does not allow users to initialize the unit (heading and AOA) with approximate values before fine tuning with stated calibration procedures.

Thomas_Schaad

Leonard, be carefull with the "airborne calibration". What you get from your GPS is your TRK, this is where the aircraft is going to, meanwhile what you want from your compass is the HDG, what is actually where your nose is pointing to. Those are two different things.

I had a pain as well, calibrating my 3 units on the compensation base. What I did then, was taxi my aircraft on a big, empty ramp to TRK North, what was indeed equal with HDG North as I was on ground. But still, carefull, I did this in Switzerland with 0° Variation by this time.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
One thing that's not clear that may be the culprit: Both the ground and air portions have to be done in one shot - meaning - the END button should not be hit until you're done with all of the maneuvers in that menu. Also, you can't back out of the calibration and do it across different sessions. Both of those operations start you from scratch.

Because the sensors in the EFIS-D10A are basically ALWAYS affected by the other stuff in the panels, we couldn't come up with an easier way to get good results from the sensors in the panel. The optional EDC-D10A remote magnetometer, since it's mounted remotely and is assumed to be in a position that is less affected by in-aircraft magnetic fields, actually adds the ability to calibrate by simply pointing the airplane in the four cardinal directions on the ground.