D10A with HDX System

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
The D10A just doesn't seem to be the best match as a backup attitude indicator for the HDX system. I'm reviewing everything now as part of my pre-installation planning and it appears to lack lighting control. Since it needs to stay on at all times to be a valuable backup, when night flying, I'd want the capability to match the other instruments with a dimmer. Second... With the D10A not networked to the HDX system, any time there is a pressure change, one must update the D10A, and that's an unnecessary distraction.

Would it be possible to do some sort of AMOC (Alternate Means of Compliance) through a FSDO, to replace the D10A with a second HDX/ADAHRS unit? The light dimmer and kolsman issues would go away and you'd have a standalone attitude indicator, easily meeting the requirement that the D10A fills. I suspect in years to come when the D10A is sunsetted (it's already long in the tooth), we'll be able to replace it with a suitable sub and that could probably be done through a 337/Field Approval.

Has anyone tried this?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There is menu-based dimming, but as you note, there isn't a way to tie dimming or baro adjustment of the two systems together.

Unfortunately, you won't have luck with an AMOC here to replace the EFIS with another ADAHRS / display because you won't have the same level of redundancy. The fact that the EFIS-D10A is a separate system that is dissimilar from SkyView is an important part of the overall certification picture. In fact, right now, a second ADAHRS isn't actually allowed on a Dynon Certified HDX system.

As for the future...

Ricardo Godoy

TWO questions about backup instruments. on a bonanza, can i keep the horizon to vacuum, altimeter and climb horiginals with hdx? can i install a garmin g5 and not a dynon d10a?

Steveden

We are installing the Certified HDX in a 182 and you must use the D10A as the backup to the HDX, no other backup unit is allowed by the certification.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We are installing the Certified HDX in a 182 and you must use the D10A as the backup to the HDX, no other backup unit is allowed by the certification.
This is correct - you have to have the EFIS-D10A - they're certified as a system. That doesn't stop you from keeping some of your existing instruments or adding others that have their own approval (although having the dissimilar pair of the HDX + the EFIS-D10A was designed to allow you to remove other heavy and often under-performing legacy equipment).

Flying_Monkey

The D10A is super intuitive. I didn't read anything about it or watch any videos and started using it right away when my HDX was installed. The menus are very well designed and super intuitive. I think it is a great simple backup to the HDX. Yes just remember if you're going to refer to it for altitude be sure to update the baro. otherwise you can refer to it for speed and attitude reference and verification with no adjustment. I would like the screen to be nicer but it is a suitable backup for the HDX at the moment.

Douglas

Agreed that the unit should be tied to the HDX for dimming and baro info...Screen update sure would be nice too, but hey, lucky for all of us the HDX screen certainly makes up for antequqted look of the D10A...It’s kinda like have a Commodore 64 to back up your new IMac, but if the HDX takes takes a nap IFR in the soup, I’ll be happy to have it!

Corefile

So speaking of IFR - Is the the HDX considered your main HSI - and if that fails the D10A would be the backup HSI?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So speaking of IFR - Is the the HDX considered your main HSI - and if that fails the D10A would be the backup HSI?

The EFIS-D10A does not function as an HSI, but it does function as a complete set of backup flight instruments. If you do opt for a second SkyView HDX display, though, either display will continue to work uninterrupted in the event of a failure of the other.

johwiltb

One thing that kind of confuses me about the D10A is the install for the certified STC. The install guide on page 20-1 says “For the STC installation the D10A is only connected to power. See D10A electrical wiring section.” I’m assuming that just means nothing else in the harness, but you still tee off the existing pitot static lines. Is that correct @Dynon ?

johwiltb

so . . . the D10A cannot be hooked to a remote magnetometer either?
For the STC in certified aircraft, it is not hooked up to the remote magnetometer. It is only hooked up to the power and ground wires, then the pitot-static lines. This makes it a completely segregated backup system, so do not hook it up to anything besides what I just mentioned if it's under the STC.

If it isn't the required backup EFIS, and you're just using it as a normal instrument, then you can hook it up to the EDC-D10A remote compass module, but I don't know if that's part of the certified world.