D180 CHT Color Scale Missing

PilotKris

I have a Rotax 912ULS. When the D180 is 2/3 EFIS and 1/3 EMS, the CHT color scale disapears.

It shows correctly on all other screens (Full EMS, 2/3 EMS etc.).

I had the problem both before and after the latest firmware update.

It's very annoying as 2/3 EFIS 1/3 EMS is my default screen.

PilotKris

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How may EGT's and CHT's do you have?

If you have 2 of each, you get the scale bars on all screens. I tried it on a D180 and it worked on every setup I could think of.

If you have 4 of either type, we run out of space on the 1/3 screen and have to overlay the CHT's and EGT's. In this presentation, a scale bar doesn't work because there are two different scales on the same axis. In this situation, this is by design and not a bug.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't let you choose "0" EGTs since we figure anyone with a full glass EMS would want at least two EGTs. (weren't you the one suggesting everyone have an EGT per cylinder recently and wondering why we only suggested two?)

Because you can't choose 0, you must have 2, 4, or 6 EGTs selected in the Global menu. If you have 4 or 6 configured, you loose the CHT scale in 1/3. Choose "2" and you'll get it back. You'll also end up with an unused EGT bar with its own scale though.

PilotKris

(weren't you the one suggesting everyone have an EGT per cylinder recently and wondering why we only suggested two?)

Yup, that was me. Touché

Unfortunately, my SLSA (Sky Arrow) was made in Italy and my ship was the very first to have the D180 (at my insistence). The Italians make a GREAT airplane but avionics aren't their strong suit.

When I took delivery, the Italians didn't know how to properly install all the avionics (D180, SL30, GTX330, 496) to get all of functionality. One of the missing capabilities was EGT. I spent several months working the bugs out of the avionics (and passing along my fixes to the factory).

I haven't addressed the EGT issue yet as it will involve routing the wires all the way through the airframe (the Sky Arrow is a pusher) and I'm having way too much fun flying the plane to take it down to do it right now (but I will eventually).

Even if Italy installed EGT probes, I'm sure they would only install 2 as they don't think out-of-the-box very much. Imagine the difficulty explaining (though an interpreter) why they should have 4 probes when Rotax and Dynon say they only need 2...

I was able to get the color back by selecting "1CHT-2EGT".

Thanks

PilotKris