D180 Current Sensor High (99A) Readings?

Graham711

Posted Apr 04th, 2008, 5:51am - No response as of 2pm EST 8th April

Hi!

I am in the process of connecting up the Dynon Jabiru 3300 Engine Kit supplied Sensors, upon installing the Current (GRT CS-01) Shunt and wiring it exactly as per the instructions, I get a Max Scale reading of +99 Amps - even though there circuit is only pulling 3 amps. The output from the shunt is OK at 1.6Mv. When I went into the setup today to double check everything, it strangely read correctly when I opted out of the setup mode - until I shut it down, now I am back to square one again with 99Amps reading. Oh.. the case to ground is reading 0 volts. And yes, it is a Dynon Harness Can anyone explain what is wrong here? There is only two sensors available in the setup - the second being the Hall Effect Type with an Off-Set adjustment.

Regards

Graham - Auzz

josok

Hi Graham,
It's a simple question, but difficult to answer. Basically it looks like a wiring fault. Assuming that you have the latest version of the software, and that the shunt is correctly connected, pull the measuring leads from the shunt, and check them for continuity until the plug pins. I had a nasty intermittent OC in a splice in a Steiner harnass, factories make mistakes too. Last diags could be to shorten out the Amps input connections on the EMS. If still not zero, contact service.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GRT CS-01 sensor is a grt sensor that we're compatible with. That is sensor type 2. Our shunt, however, is sensor type 1. Is this maybe where you're going wrong?

Graham711

Thanks for the replies so far - I will do as was suggested and check the continuity of the factory harness. Type 1 is selected, with type 2 being for Hall Effect type Sensors I believe? Further info since last posting - I went on a trip and after 1 few min's of 99Amps it suddenly settled into what appeared to be the correct current draw of 5.58 amps. However at times it would go back to 99 amps or jump from 2 to 8 amps area as if there is some sort of short / open circuit problem in the circuit / unit? I will know more when I check out the factory harness in order to isolate it to either that or the D180 unit as suggested.

Cheers

Graham