D180 Serial connectors for firmware update

JohnH

I installed a D180 in an RV6 about 2 years ago using the Dynon supplied wiring harness. I am in the process of adding GPS (Garmin 296) and serial output for a Garmin 327 transponders. I tried to update the firmware and could not get my PC to communicate with the unit. I have done this successfully on 2 other Dynon EFIS installations, so this is not a first time for me.

The sserial cable with a D9 plug is connected to the 37 pin EMS plug in the D180, the manual says that this port is only for EMS logging. The manual also indicates that the PC connection normally occurs with the serial port on the 25 pin EFIS plug. Should I connect a new D9 plug to the 25 pin EFIS plug and then try to do the firmware update or should it work through the 37 pin EMS plug?

JohnH

Seems like this did not attract any attention.

The solution. the Dynon supplied harness was incorrect. The firmware update could not be done as with the the serial PC cable connected through the 37 pin EMS plug. I installed a serial cable as per installation manual on the 25 pin EFIS plug and everything worked fine. Upgrade to 5.2 successful.

I am surprised this did not attract the attention of the Dynon support team.

PhantomPholly

Someone else makes the pre-made harness for Dynon, and sometimes they make a mistake. One of the best things you can do with such harnesses is to open the connector and visually confirm that each pin has the same color-coded wire attached as is documented. Doesn't help now, of course, but these harnesses ARE put together by human beings.

;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry we missed you post. Basically, as you've discovered, the D180 is updated via its 25-pin primary harness serial connector. The 37 pin connector is only utilized for updates on standalone EMS products. Your 25 pin harness shoul've had a 9 pin on it already as well. Was it missing it, or did you build your own primary 25 pin harness?