D180 with a 2 axis autopilot

leeschaumberg

Hello DYNON

Sorry if I asked this before but I'm looking at a single EFIS with a 2 axis autopilot using a D180. According to you I have $3200 for the EFIS and $1500 for the servos. I am not looking at the back up battery or sensors now. Is an AP74 or an AP76 required? Your devices will be hooked to a Garmin GPS to fly from point A to B and make GPS approaches. Knowing this what do you say?

Lee

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You can indeed "just add servos" for $1500 to add a two axis autopilot to our products. The AP74 is not required, but does add a more direct user interface than if you were using the unit's menu system. The AP76, when available next year, will add the ability to fly vertically coupled approaches.

Take a look at http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Autopilot_FAQ for answers to a lot of frequently asked questions.

leeschaumberg

Hello Dynon

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems you have all the answers to my questions in the previously listed article. The AP76 will make life easier and make your AP as good as the best.
Lee

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
And just to note we will fly the horizontal portion of a "GPS Approach" without the AP74 or 76, but if you want to fly the vertical navigation, you'll need the AP76 as well as a GPS that is capable of outputting the needed information.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only units I know of that do GPS approaches are a Garmin 430W, 530W, or 480. It would be technically illegal to fly a GPS approach without a certified GPS.

godspeed

I know but it could be ok for practice
Till the 430 or 530 was purchased
Do the portables output this data?