D2 hardwire?

ZodiacPilot

I love flying!
So there is a post about hardwiring the D1 which notes you must use the cigarette connector thru a female fitting to ensure 5v dc. Is the same thing true for the D2?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That is true. More specifically, the D1/D2 MUST only see 5V DC at its connector. Hooking 12V to it directly will damage it.

cjohngraham

I love flying!
How much current does the D2 draw when charging? Would it be feasible to charge a D2 from the SV EMS D-37 pin 18 that supplies 5V to some sensors and flap/trim position indicators? The EMS limits pin 18 to 300 ma with an internal fuse but would not want to challenge it.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Pin 18 isn't meant for higher-current applications like charging an external device, and the D2 will definitely try to pull more than 300mA (I forget the exact number, but it's higher).

jfeighny

I love flying!
D2 USB wire? 
I would like to run a  usb cord from the charger.
I have a 2 outlet usb charging plug that I use to charge my I phone and I pad.  Why not the D2?
My furnished D2 charger came apart in the 12v outlet, shedding it's plug and blowing a fuse...a very had to find fuse by the way ;)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So for USB, you can use any "standard" cigarette lighter USB charger with a USB-A to mini-usb cable. That'll give you a USB power source that you can use with the D1/D2. It will charge much slower than the 5V barrel connector though.

dllang

Is there any reason you couldn't use one of the USB ports on a Skyview system to connect/charge the D2?

As a separate question, would a USB connection like this power the D2 or only charge the battery?  Would the D2 turn on and off based on whether the USB cable was active?

Thanks!

Raymo

I love aviation!
Is there any reason you couldn't use one of the USB ports on a Skyview system to connect/charge the D2?

As a separate question, would a USB connection like this power the D2 or only charge the battery?  Would the D2 turn on and off based on whether the USB cable was active?

Thanks!

The SV USB ports do not provide any charge capabilities. I installed this one from SteinAir.com. Works great and no noise on the radio.

http://www.steinair.com/product/dual-usb-panel-jack/