Databases, settings, quirks

adammwells

I am anxiously awaiting beginning my HDX install journey, unfortunately my 172 doesn't go in the shop until September. Until then I scour the internet for HDX reviews and how to videos and fantasize about how awesome the new panel will be. Watching threads on this forum and some FB groups I always see folks with various issues and or tweaks they are trying to figure out. Often these complaints/issues are with firmware and database updates.

I have a pile of questions running through my head.
This leads me to ask: is the HDX buggy? Do other brands have similar issues and I just dont hear about them because I'm not looking in those forums? For the first time I recently saw a YT vid in which the pilot referenced needs to get in to the G3X system settings to tweak something with the settings. Do Dynon owners fine tune because the HDX is far more customizable than the G branded equipments? Do they have similar issues with updating their firmware and databases?

Obviously I'm team Dynon because I have already put a sizeable amount of $$ down for the install. Are these perceived minor inconveniences attributed to the cost of going with the more affordable product?

I welcome some perspective. I am super excited for the new panel, I just want to be able to set my expectations to a realistic level.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

This leads me to ask: is the HDX buggy?
In relation to what? Other EFISs? Your desktop computer? Your nephew's implementation of chess running on an Arduino?

There are bugs - it's a bunch of electronics and software. Having a safety related bug pop up (and this can ONLY happen in IMC - if you're in VMC, the EFIS does NOT affect safety) is extremely rare (but is the reason that I have a Garmin G5 as a backup).

In relation to other EFISs, it's fairly similar to the catastrophic bug rate in Garmin G3Xs and better than GRT. It's infinitely better than MGL, which is, in my opinion, not qualified to be regarded as children's toys.

Do other brands have similar issues and I just dont hear about them because I'm not looking in those forums?
Yes. I have customers will all brands of EFISs, and no one ever says "geez - this freaking thing is perfect - I've never had any anomalous behavior, ever".

Do Dynon owners fine tune because the HDX is far more customizable than the G branded equipments? Do they have similar issues with updating their firmware and databases?
The ability to customize the display was one of the major reasons I went with Dynon rather than Garmin.

Garmin is better integrated with their navigators, has more output information in the serial stream and has automatic fallover of A/P control to a second screen/ADAHRS and backup G5. The G3X is also a lot better at EMULATING IFR capability in the case of an IFR navigator failure (or the lack of one). But it's "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black" as a philosophy of user interface and that didn't work for me. Garmin has continual firmware and database updates, just like all EFISs, and some are to fix bugs (which they are far less prone to acknowledge than Dynon, and Dynon's support interactions are far superior to Garmin's, which can be akin to getting an audience with the pope. They've had major issues with A/P servos over the years, and recently had a blanket replacement recall, with a 5 year replacement offer. Don't get me wrong - Garmin makes a very good product - but they're not perfect, either.

So, yeah. Dynon's better than most, but not perfect - no hardware or software is. IMO, stay away from MGL (as you obviously are, since you're here) and while GRT used to be nice, it's really old and dated now (and I hate their user interface, but that's personal preference). I've also had reports of a GRT rolling over dead in IMC and NOT throwing red X's on the screen - wrong information is worse than none, and except for the fact that the pilot was extremely skilled and knew how to fly partial panel with the main panel showing incorrect info, he wouldn't have been able to tell me about the failure. After installing a G3X system to replace the GRT system, the Garmin "safety" feature that will try to maintain level flight in case of pilot error tried to kill this same pilot, as his pitot tube got clogged and although the ADAHRS was showing level flight, it dove to try to pick up IAS. Needless to say, he turned that feature off.

Nothing's perfect.

I will say that I am extremely happy with my dual HDX, dual ADAHRS system in my COZY MKIV. Very glad that I installed it.

adammwells

Marc, thanks for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was hoping for. Yeah, i would rather have no information over bad information in IMC.

Stevec

To add to what Marc said the support you will get from Dynon in my experience is excellent. I have had a number of minor issues over the years with 6 installs I have been involved with and have received quick responses to all questions and all issues get resolved. I will say I have stuck to, by the book installs, which probably makes things easier to problem solve.
I have not had the same luck with the other major supplier who seems to do everything to avoid answering any questions. Their stock answer seems to be consult a certified installer.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Marc, thanks for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was hoping for. Yeah, i would rather have no information over bad information in IMC.
Well, it's not just a preference :).

Having performed the System Safety Analysis for Spaceship 2, White Knight 2 and Rocket Motor 2 when I was at Scaled, it became very clear when creating the fault trees that a far higher percentage of "incorrect information" faults were classified as Catastrophic or Hazardous than of "no information" faults.

And glad I was able to provide useful information.