Dedicated Knob Modgule

JTD

I would love to see Dynon create a stand alone modgule that had a headung, altitude, and coarse knobs. In the IFR environment when you are being asigned ALT ,HDG and trying to set coarse all at once as well as Baro the single knob is to combersum

Haukinger

That would be a great thing to have!

Alternatively, there might be an interface (serial in?) where one can connect external knobs for adjusting the various bugs (heading and altitude being the most important ones). Any chances for something like an "SDK" for external modules?

dabear

I agree with the dedicated module. Actually, I'd like to see two.

1. dedicated module for Baro, map ring, heading course, etc.
2. Dedicated module for Auto Pilot functions, hdg/nav selectors, alt modes, aproach modes, etc.

skysailor

I agree. It would be great to have a very small unit that could be mounted in a console which would allow adjustments without reaching all the way to the panel. Would probably be easier to adjust in turbulence as well.

rogersmart

I wrote before that the UI for the BARO setting is too easy to screw up when combined with other functions on the same knob. Baro should time out to avoid unintended changes.

hmanvel

I learned the other day that even with the proposed timeout feature, it could still be a problem. Flying on autopilot in moderate bumps, tried to dial up a higher altitude for the ap. I accidentally bumped the knob and selected baro instead of alt, then was spinning the dial wondering why the altitude setting wasnt changing. I figured it out when the airplane began to climb, even though the altitude setting had not changed. I had adjusted the altimeter setting a big amount. I'm glad I was VFR when I learned that little gotcha.

jeynon2

As someone who has designed their entire interior around putting the HS34 and AP74 in the center console within easy reach of the armrest, I'll add my vote for Skyview modules, preferably with the same form factor.

P.S. Still hoping for an AP76 so that I can keep my legacy system as a dedicated autopilot / backup EFIS.

Haukinger

HS34 and AP74 in the center console within easy reach of the armrest
That's exactly what I envisioned!

Perhaps the module could just have 3 knobs which can be (statically) assigned to arbitrary bugs.

dabear

I made this suggestion 4 years ago.

Dynon just said "NO"

I've been around on this forum (reading mostly) for 2-3 years and I've not seen Dynon just say "NO" to anything. I've seen them explain cost models or explain delays in delivery. but they don't just say "No"

As to this issue, I believe somewhere they said they would look at it once they complete some other things in the SV line. Heck, the AP doesn't do approaches yet, so I can see them wanting to wait. (Althought I'd like it NOW!!! ;D:) )
I'd love to have more features, faster. But I also understand the cost implications of increasing their development staff. They are making the right balance of feature delivery within a cost model that keeps customers coming. Plus, they upgrade 2-3 times a year with solid features. Seems to me, they are doing well by their customers.

trevpond

Bear,

You are spot-on. Not many companies, particularly those in Avionics pay much attention to "Customer want items" but Dynon tries so hard to give us what we want.

They can't do everything at once but are working through a development program and lets face it, are way ahead of the curve.

regards

Trev ;D

dabear

My only complaint with Dynon at the moment is that I'm marked as a "junior member." At 40+ years of age.... I"m just not sure I like that. :-D

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
My only complaint with Dynon at the moment is that I'm marked as a "junior member."  At 40+ years of age.... I"m just not sure I like that.  :-D

Let me tell you: if you're closer to 40, you ARE one of our "junior" customers! ;)

DBRV10

HS34 and AP74 are great in real IFR.

The Skyview system needs this also.

I hate having the HDG/ALT/BARRO move around. It is a big down side for sure on otherwise a nice system

K

KRviator

As much as I dislike comments such as "AFS can do it, so why can't Dynon" type of comments(particularly as I much prefer Dynon) a bloke in Switzerland has developed an airliner-style MCP for the AFS autopilot that looks very professional. Its not my photo to post, but HERE'S a photo of the blokes panel.

AIUI, the SkyView autopilot settings are shared between displays and the network as part of the serial data stream, but I've no idea how hard it would be to manipulate the serial info to vary any autopilot settings, based on external/homemade hardware.

If Dynon is curious about numbers, I'll put my hand up as wanting one though. ;)

JTD

As much as I love my Skyview I realy hate only having one Knob to imput all the functions. I was in IFR conditions (Class B) this week and was given multiple heading, altitude changes in a rapid succession as well as changing baro as I was seting up corse for the ILS. Cant tell you how many times while making a imput I inadvertenly had my altitude or heading change. We realy need a dedicated knob modgule or something to solve this. The existing setup ok for the typical weekend VFR flights but completly unsuited for IFR. :'(

TRCsmith

I too am waiting for the SV version of the HS34. I have the HS34 with my D100 and what a convenience.

I'm now installing the SV and would like the same convenience along with a key pad for entering way points.
Wow, what a system that would be on top of what it is now. :D