Display traffic with a non-Dynon transponder?

amolny

I love flying!
I have a Skyview Touch and ADSB-470. My understanding is the 470 currently receives traffic but doesn't display it because I don't have ADSB out.

If I add a non-Dynon ADSB-OUT transponder (such as the GTX345 or GNX375) will I see traffic on the Dynon?

kellym

I love flying!
I have a Skyview Touch and ADSB-470. My understanding is the 470 currently receives traffic but doesn't display it because I don't have ADSB out.

If I add a non-Dynon ADSB-OUT transponder (such as the GTX345 or GNX375) will I see traffic on the Dynon?

The 470 only receives traffic that is sent to you by a ground station, and traffic that is close enough to receive directly, IF that traffic has a UAT-978 out unit. It only gets 1090ES broadcasts from ground stations. Ground station only transmit to aircraft that have ADSB out. If you are close to one of those aircraft you may get traffic.
You can add a non Dynon ADS-B unit if you wish and yes the ground stations will start transmitting to you. However, you are likely to spend more money for less capability.
The Dynon 261 costs less than either of the two units you mention.

amolny

I love flying!
Thanks, kellym. My question is actually a bit more complicated but I didn't want to put too much in my initial post. I eventually plan to add an IFR navigator such as the GTN750. With that setup I would probably configure the screens to display PFD and engine monitor on the Skyview and moving map on the Garmin. In that case I would want to see traffic and weather on the Garmin. But I would still like to see traffic in the Skyview PFD's synthetic vision, and not lose the ability to see traffic and weather on the Skyview's map page. It seems unlikely that any Garmin device would be able to communicate with the 261's serial port.

So I reiterate my original question - If I add a non-Dynon ADSB-OUT transponder (such as the GTX345 or GNX375) will I see traffic on the Dynon?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There's a setting on SkyView that allows you to tell it that there is a non-Dynon ADS-B out device installed. That lets SkyView know that it should display traffic that is sent over ADS-B. Even today, you'll be able to see 978-equipped ADS-B Out emitters when you're near them, but you won't get the full traffic picture until you have your ADS-B Out solution enabled.

The key thing to getting things working well here is to ensure that your transponder is set correctly to let the ADS-B system know what band you're receiving on (978/UAT only in your case with the -470). That lets the ground station system know where to send the traffic rebroadcast uplink for you.

All that said, why not add an SV-XPNDR-261 + a SV-GPS-2020 instead? It'd be less than the price delta than the other possible solutions you mentioned.

kellym

I love flying!
Thanks, kellym. My question is actually a bit more complicated but I didn't want to put too much in my initial post. I eventually plan to add an IFR navigator such as the GTN750. With that setup I would probably configure the screens to display PFD and engine monitor on the Skyview and moving map on the Garmin. In that case I would want to see traffic and weather on the Garmin. But I would still like to see traffic in the Skyview PFD's synthetic vision, and not lose the ability to see traffic and weather on the Skyview's map page. It seems unlikely that any Garmin device would be able to communicate with the 261's serial port.

So I reiterate my original question - If I add a non-Dynon ADSB-OUT transponder (such as the GTX345 or GNX375) will I see traffic on the Dynon?

Have you seen traffic on a GTN 750 vs on the Dynon? I use the Dynon exclusively, because I haven't enabled my GTN 650 to see it, and the screen size and clutter would make it nearly impossible to determine location.
I have flown quite a bit with both the PFD and moving map traffic enabled. By far the traffic on the moving map is most useful and gives the most accurate depiction of the traffic....not to mention you can quickly zoom in on the traffic to determine where it is headed vs your track. PFD display is good for vertical differences, but no where as easy for spotting the traffic. So I reiterate...why not go with the less expensive and more flexible option of the Dynon 261?

Raymo

I love aviation!
I'm with @kelllym on this one too. Plus, with the ADSB-472, it sends traffic and WX to Foreflight, which has audible traffic alerts if you have a BT headset tied to your iPhone/iPad.

lgabriel

I love flying!
I'm with @kelllym on this one too. Plus, with the ADSB-472, it sends traffic and WX to Foreflight

How did you get this working? I thought it would be part of v15.4.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I'm with @kelllym on this one too. Plus, with the ADSB-472, it sends traffic and WX to Foreflight

How did you get this working?  I thought it would be part of v15.4.

It just worked after installing the newer 472. It did not work with the 470. Sometimes I would get weather but never traffic.

lgabriel

I love flying!
Ooo I'm super jealous. I have the 472 and no wx/traffic through to FF. It's something I've been keeping my fingers crossed for since Oshkosh 2015...

Raymo

I love aviation!
Louis,

Make sure your 472 has the latest firmware. The early 472s had to be sent in for a hardware upgrade as well.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The -470 uses a different format for traffic internally which currently makes it incompatible with Foreflight. We don't currently have a plan to address this, because it's a pretty huge change for a comparatively minor feature. We also have what we think is an attractive upgrade path to the -472, at $295