Do I need an audio panel?

d3mac123

I know the question is dumb (but I am really not sure). I'm getting a plane with a Dynon radio (and a PS-Engineering intercom) and I am planning to add a NAV (probably a VAL2000) radio. I am wondering if an audio panel is needed for this configuration - which I guess so but just want to confirm. Also, any suggestions?

Last edited:

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I know the question is dumb (but I am really not sure). I'm getting a plane with a Dynon radio (and a PS-Engineering intercom) and I am planning to add a NAV (probably a VAL2000) radio. I am wondering if an audio panel is needed for this configuration - which I guess so but just want to confirm. Also, any suggestions?
If you are only going to have one radio and one NAV, then no - you don't need an audio panel. You can get one of these:

Simple and cheap.

Tim Fitz

I have a dynon radio, nav 2000 (plus a Garmin G-175), and a dynon intercom. No audio panel installed. Before the dynon radio came out I had a radio (forget now which one) and a PS intercom with no audio panel. Once dynon cam out with a radio and intercom I dumped the non dynon stuff and went with the dynon equipment. Never had an issue with them since.

d3mac123

I have a dynon radio, nav 2000 (plus a Garmin G-175), and a dynon intercom. No audio panel installed. Before the dynon radio came out I had a radio (forget now which one) and a PS intercom with no audio panel. Once dynon cam out with a radio and intercom I dumped the non dynon stuff and went with the dynon equipment. Never had an issue with them since.
I have the Dynon intercom too but my new plane has 4 seats so, I will have to replace it with another intercom or an audio panel :(

d3mac123

If you are only going to have one radio and one NAV, then no - you don't need an audio panel. You can get one of these:

Simple and cheap.
This sounds interesting. Do you have one yourself? How do you switch between radios?

andresmith76

I love flying!
This sounds interesting. Do you have one yourself? How do you switch between radios?
I do not have an AP-60 but perusing the instruction manual, this unit is an audio mixer only - it does not have any built-in switching capability. The manual further states "Optionally switches can be installed on the input lines to enable turning off and on specific devices."

I have a couple of Flight Data Systems products in my plane and the build quality & technical support are both wonderful. Not to mention the very reasonable pricing of their products.

jsalak

I love flying!
A simple COM-NAV switch will work fine to select the radio audio source feeding the intercom unit. I have two comm radios and a nav radio that are switched using a 3-position (COM1, COM2, NAV), 4 pole switch with a PS Engineering PM-3000 intercom. Radio 2 is a COM/NAV unit, so the MIC input stays switched to COM2 when the audio is coming from the NAV. $6 solution vs $1,000 audio panel.

That being said, the only time I switch to NAV audio is during a periodic VOR test.

d3mac123

A simple COM-NAV switch will work fine to select the radio audio source feeding the intercom unit. I have two comm radios and a nav radio that are switched using a 3-position (COM1, COM2, NAV), 4 pole switch with a PS Engineering PM-3000 intercom. Radio 2 is a COM/NAV unit, so the MIC input stays switched to COM2 when the audio is coming from the NAV. $6 solution vs $1,000 audio panel.

That being said, the only time I switch to NAV audio is during a periodic VOR test.
Nice solution. Do you have the wiring diagram of your solution by chance?

Rhino

The scenario quoted, one COM and one NAV, doesn't require input switching. You don't transmit on the NAV radio, so there's nothing to switch. The output receive audio is mixed and heard automatically by the mixer, unless you turn down the volume on the NAV radio. For your setup you don't need input switching. There are also less expensive audio mixers out there.

d3mac123

The scenario quoted, one COM and one NAV, doesn't require input switching. You don't transmit on the NAV radio, so there's nothing to switch. The output receive audio is mixed and heard automatically by the mixer, unless you turn down the volume on the NAV radio. For your setup you don't need input switching. There are also less expensive audio mixers out there.
Sure thing. I just liked the idea of adding a second NAV in the future and, potentially, save $100 bucks with the audio mixer, if the switch solution does not require one.

Rhino

It doesn't but you should be aware you'd be switching everything. Without a mixer, you'd only hear audio from the selected radio, so you won't hear radio calls while listening to the NAV. A comm panel gives you more than just radio mixing, selection and control. I want a comm panel because it also allows me to hear annunciators from my aircraft systems that I wouldn't otherwise hear. That and I want to hear music. You can still decide which NAV to listen to with the volume knobs on the radios, when using a mixer. And you can get a mixer for about $30.

jsalak

I love flying!
Nice solution. Do you have the wiring diagram of your solution by chance?
A pdf wiring diagram can be found at the following link:

You do not need an audio panel to hear annunciators or music, my PM3000 intercom as two separate music input jacks and my Dynon SV-1000 audio is wired to the #2 music input (both unswitched inputs). I do not really use the #1 music input, my Lightspeed headset is BT linked to my iPad and their FlightLink app for that capability.

The PM3000 does the audio mixing, so you could do something similar with the NAV audio by connecting to Music Input #1 or #2 and using the NAV volume control to control the input level being mixed.

Rhino

Depends on how many annunciators and other audio sources you have, but yes, strictly speaking, that is true.

d3mac123

It doesn't but you should be aware you'd be switching everything. Without a mixer, you'd only hear audio from the selected radio, so you won't hear radio calls while listening to the NAV. A comm panel gives you more than just radio mixing, selection and control. I want a comm panel because it also allows me to hear annunciators from my aircraft systems that I wouldn't otherwise hear. That and I want to hear music. You can still decide which NAV to listen to with the volume knobs on the radios, when using a mixer. And you can get a mixer for about $30.
Can you point me to a $30 mixer? I just found 2 at Aircraftspruce, being the cheaper $90.

Rhino

You can search Amazon for an audio mixer and get tons of results. They're mainly for musicians, but they should work fine. If you want to go the 'aircraft approved' route, you're stuck with stuff like the one from Aircraft Spruce. In other words, more money for the same function.

jsalak

I love flying!
You could check with Maker Plane for the AMX-4A 5-channel audio mixer that was once offered by VX Aviation.
You can find the installation manual here: http://54.92.159.85/redmine/documents/20

You could also check with the designer, Vern Little at http://www.huvver.tech/open-source-hardware/ to see if he knows a current parts source.

In Bob Nuckolls "The AeroElectric Connection" book, chapter 18 has a DIY schematic for an Isolation Amplifier to mix audio sources.

d3mac123

You could check with Maker Plane for the AMX-4A 5-channel audio mixer that was once offered by VX Aviation.
You can find the installation manual here: http://54.92.159.85/redmine/documents/20

You could also check with the designer, Vern Little at http://www.huvver.tech/open-source-hardware/ to see if he knows a current parts source.

In Bob Nuckolls "The AeroElectric Connection" book, chapter 18 has a DIY schematic for an Isolation Amplifier to mix audio sources.
I have contacted both (but no answers from any of them). Anyways, I found a way to keep the Dynon intercom with a NAV radio. Thank you!