Does the Skyview has airport map?

RB-RV9A

I looking to get a new system, either dynon or garmin. right now I am leaning towards dynon. One thing I don't see on the SkyView is when you land, does it switches to an airport map like garmin SafeTaxi?
Thanks

Flying_Monkey

I looking to get a new system, either dynon or garmin. right now I am leaning towards dynon. One thing I don't see on the SkyView is when you land, does it switches to an airport map like garmin SafeTaxi?
Thanks
I believe you must have the chart subscription from Seattle Avionics and download charts to your USB stick and keep that in the USB port. (it's $99/yr and sometimes they do a $300-$400 lifetime special). The charts include 2 types of taxi diagrams- the FAA ones and Seattle Avionics own taxi diagrams. I do not know if they can automatically pop up when you land but I do select to display them and they are georeferenced and work very well. It is also very easy to zoom in and scroll around with the touchscreen or knob/touch combo.

RVDan

I love flying!
That is correct, the airport diagrams are from Seattle Avionics. they do not automatically display on landing, a feature I and others have requested, but if you press and hold the map knob(the one that controls scaling) when on the ground it brings up the taxi diagram for the airport you are on.

Flying_Monkey

That is correct, the airport diagrams are from Seattle Avionics. they do not automatically display on landing, a feature I and others have requested, but if you press and hold the map knob(the one that controls scaling) when on the ground it brings up the taxi diagram for the airport you are on.
Thats a great tip and one I did not know! What happens if you press and hold the knob in the air? Is that the re-center map command?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Thats a great tip and one I did not know! What happens if you press and hold the knob in the air? Is that the re-center map command?

In-air, a single-click will toggle between wherever the cursor is/last was and recentering the airplane.
A press/hold in air will bring up your most recently used plate/chart/apt diagram. (lets you go back and forth between chart and map quickly)
On the ground, the same press/hold will bring up the airport diagram for that airport, if it exists.

Speeddog8

I’ve been using an iFly GPS for years now. It has a map feature that offsets the depiction of your aircraft’s position on the screen dependent on the direction the aircraft is flying (in North Up View). The reason for this is to allow more viewable “real estate” AHEAD of your aircraft. I didn’t really notice how much I liked this feature on the iFly until I started flying the SkyView. Does the SkyView have this feature and maybe I’m missing it in the settings menu?

Speeddog8

I too would certainly vote for the airport diagram to automatically appear when on the ground. That’s a really nice feature that helps eliminate pilot workload.