DSAB dimming problem?

ArjanPlomp

We have an AP74, EFIS D10A, EMS D10 hooked up via DSAB. The problem lies in the dimming of the EFIS and EMS. On boot up, the EMS sometimes dims almost all the way down, yet the EFIS is almost full dim. Increasing brightness on the EMS has no effect and since the EFIS already thinks it is in full brightness, that has no effect either. the only option is turn of the EFIS (so the system looses DSAB), increase brightness on the EMS, turn the EFIS back on. All is back the normal from that point forward. When avionics are turned off, the problem re appears. The EFIS also does not get back to normal. The problem appears with both autodimming on and autodimming off.

Any help would be appreciated. Using latest version of firmware on all equipment.

vatkinson

I have a dimming problem that is somewhat different. I have the D100 with the extra bright option. Using the instructions, I set it to the auto dimming for the extra bright display that I have.

Problem is its always in the dim mode when its in the sun and it should be bright... any suggestions? Havent really played around with it much, or try the other manual setting for bright all the time.

David_Prince

I have the D180 bright option with the HS34. On power up I see the Dynon logo at normal brightness and then the D180 goes to a very dim display, like the back lighting is completely turned off. Recycling the power does the same thing. After 30 - 45 seconds, the display comes back to normal brightness. I keep expecting to totally loose the D180 in flight but it has not happened yet.

The only other strange behavior:
I have an occasional alarm in flight saying DSAB disconnected. I ack the alarm and everything seems fine.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Arjan: Do you mean that the EMS is almost full dim or full bright in your third sentence? What are the sensor values displayed on both screens' DIM menu? Also, try doing a fresh DSAB configuration to see if that changes anything. Is the behavior different if the AP74 is completely out of the loop?

Vatkinson: I'm assuming you have an HS34 or AP74, correct? (one of them is required for auto-dimming to work since the sensor lives in there). Is the light sensor covered by anything? If you shine a flashlight directly on the sensor, does anything change? Finally, what is the sensor value under the DIM menu?

David: This sounds like it might be a more straightforward problem with your HS34. Can you get into the DIM menu before the brightness decreases and see the sensor values as the brightness goes up and down? Also, after the DSAB error message, does the HS34 still work?

If the screen is fully dimmed and you're having trouble seeing it, here's the sequence of button pushes (assuming no menus or alarms are present) that will brighten it: 3, 5, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.... (until you can see the screen)

vatkinson

Thanks...I do have an HS 34 and i will look for the dimmer hole when I get back out to the hangar, and look at the dimming value too..... Right now Im on the road for 3 more days.

I also havent loaded in the -5 upgrade yet...

vatkinson

OK... the d100 dims normally. Looks like it has 5 stages from bright to full dim. I had the plane in a darkened hangar and took a small flashlight to HS34 and it did its thing automatically.

:)