DSAB Error

N747PW

I have just completed the installation (addition) of an SV42 to my (already installed) D100-D10A-HS34-D120 system. After firing it up I attempted to configure the DSAB and it found the four original device and not the SV42. After a short delay a nice lady told me I had a "DSAB Error" and all the displays then showed a red bar echoing the error. After hitting finish button on the configuration screen they all seemed to join and be happy, all that is except the SV42. I disconnected the SV42 and got exactly the same results. The DSAB status screen states that all four devices are there and happy. I checked the communications between them ad they all seem to work, twisting the knob on the HS42 sets the baro on both the D100 and D10A. Twisting the heading knob adjusts the heading bug on all three display, so they seem to be talking to each other. What can the error be? I don't recall this happening when I first set up the installation, sans SV42. All the devices have the latest (5.0) firmware.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You need to go into the DSAB menu and look at the devices that it thinks it knows about. DSAB error at boot generally means something it expects to see is not there. Doesn't mean DSAB is totally dead.

If it can't find the SV42, only a few real possibilities: The DSAB A/B lines are flopped or not hooked to the right places. The SV42 doesn't have power, or the SV42 is broken.

N747PW

Thanks for the prompt response.

I didn't make the situation clear in the initial post.

1. I installed and connected the SV42. turned on the power to all avionics. Navigated to the DSAB menu on the DSAB Master (D100) and went to "configure" said "yes" The unit paused for about 20 seconds and stated it found 4 devices (D100, D10A, D120 and HS34). After a further 10 - 20 seconds I got a voice message that announced "DSAB Error". The three units with displays (D100, D10A and D120) all showed a DSAB error message. I then pressed the "Finish" button on the D100, all error messages disappeared. I then went to the DSAB status menu and all units showed up as functional, which I verified by adjusting various settings (Baro, Heading, etc.). The SV42 never showed up.

2. I rechecked the wiring. The SV42 is getting power. There is a small chance that the DSAB wires are swapped. I will recheck that.

3. The further problem is that when I removed the SV42 entirely from the system, I get the exact same results as in 1. above.

4. I have recently received the D10A back from Dynon on a warranty repair (an accelerometer died, I'm guessing). I reinstalled the unit, powered it up and all was well. I never reconfigured the DSAB after reinstalling the D10A as I never reconfigured it after removing the unit initially. I just acknowledged the DSAB failure when it was out. The SV42 was installed a few days after the D10A was reinstalled.

Any other possibilities?

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The DSAB error notification you're getting is actually normal. The DSAB configuration process is not complete until you press the FINISH button. The processors do some final handshaking when you press this. The error notification you see is due to the other units seeing DSAB completed almost all the way, but not that final step.

Go ahead and press FINISH as soon as that button appears in the configuration process. If you do that, you won't get the DSAB error notification on the other units.

As for the servo not being recognized, let's go through the checks mentioned earlier, and see where that leaves you.

N747PW

Again thanks for the prompt response.

Dynon support is A1.

Thanks for the clarification, I could not come up with a scenario that explained the behavior. I can now proceed with confidence. I'll let you know if there is a further issue with the SV42.

Best

Pat

N747PW

OK. Finally got time to work on the problem. I tried swapping the DSAB wires, no joy. I then traced the wires and swapped them back again as they were correct initially. After about 6-7 tries the DSAB configuration found the autopilot, once! After repeated subsequent attempts, using different power up sequences etc. it never again found the autopilot.

Any suggested

Desperate Pat.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are all the other devices found on DSAB? Does disconnecting the servo allow DSAB configuration to proceed normally?

Also, try the DSAB config right after power on (within a minute or so). Does that help?

Finally, does detecting the firmware version from the master (with the sv42 connected and powered up) report the servo?

N747PW

The first two questions are addressed in reply #2 above

1. Configuration occurs normally with and without the servo attached, i.e. all 4 devices (D100, D10A, D120 and HS34) are found in both cases.
2. I have tried that without success.
3. Did not try detecting the firmware, I can try that this weekend.

Pat

N747PW

Looked at the version on the EFIS and no hint of a servo. Picture attached. What next?

Pat

Attachments

• IMAGE_023.jpg
    IMAGE_023.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 159

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Wondering a little bit about electrical noise. How is power/ground getting to the servo? Are the DSAB wires a twisted pair?

N747PW

Power is from a bus through a fuse through a panel mounted switch and then to the servo, total length about 7 feet of 20AWG. Ground is to a centrally mounted grounding bus directly from the servo, also about 7 feet of 20AWG.

The DSAB signals are routed through a shielded twisted pair, the shield grounded at the source (D100), about 5 feet long. Owing to the balanced nature of the RS485 signals, I would be very surprised if there was a noise issue. remember all of the tests so far have been carried out with only the avionics powered up, no alternator noise, no magneto/ignition noise, etc.

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Pat,

We'll be better able to help you through some more personal tech support. Give us a call at 425-402-0433 and ask for technical support.

N747PW

Got my servo back from Dynon a week ago, thanks for the prompt response! The bad news is that the problem wasn't solved. i.e. doesn't join the network, it did once however and never again.

Today I'll take out the scope and have a look at the waveforms, it could be reflections due to an unterminated bus. The cable length (screened twisted pair) from the D100 (master) to the servo is about 10 feet.

Any others report termination issues?

Pat

N747PW

Lot of work done. I tried terminating the DSAB with 150 Ohm resistors. The bus layout is such that the master (D100) and three slaves (D10A, D120 and HS34) are all co-located, within no more than 18 inches from each other. The SV42 is about 10 feet of cable away from the rest. The attached photos show DSAB A (Channel 1) DSAB B channel 2. Both channels set to 2 V per division and 10 micro second per division. Four configurations were used...

1. No load resistors. Four devices found, All except theSV42. Photo No Term.jpg
2. Load resistor at the D100 end. Three devices found (HS34 and SV42 never showed up). Photo Source Load.jpg
3. Terminations at both D100 and SV42. No HS34 and no SV42 found. Photo Source&Load Term.jpg
4. Termination at the SV42 end. No HS34 and no SV42 found. Photo Load Term.jpg.

Is there anything else I can try?

Note the SV42 was found twice in about 20 attempts.

Thanks

Pat

Attachments

• SourceLoad_Term.jpg
    SourceLoad_Term.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 148

N747PW

Here is another photo (Load Term.jpg)

Attachments

• Load_Term.jpg
    Load_Term.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 140