Dual Screen update

rfazio1951

I recently added a second Skyview screen and today I tried updating my system from 15.3.4 to 15.3.5. I read through the installation manual and it states you must update each screen separately. So with both screens running I updated the first one. It went quick and didn't seem correct. Too fast, it rebooted and I was getting all kinds of errors. The screen was not connecting to the EMS, the ADAHRS etc. I figured, ok I have to update the second Screen. So I did, and it took longer and seemed to be updating all the peripherals. It rebooted and I was getting more errors. I tried a few times to get everything updated with no luck. So I tried shutting down one screen and updating the other, with no luck. I redetected the network items, re configured, and finally got everything working except the Arinc429. Nothing I do will get it to update. I configured the network, Tried forcing the reload, it seems to update but no luck. I'm getting Rtloader failed errors and the screen reboots. I tried the same thing on the other screen and get the same results. So what did I do wrong? And how do I fix it?

dlloyd

Seems like I had something like that several years ago. Downloaded to another thumbdrive, tried again and everything loaded like it should. Must have been a corrupted file. Great technology, not perfect.

rfazio1951

Ah that's possible, especially since I used a new thumb drive. But does the system use the thumb drive to update the peripherals? I mean both screens are updated. When the system then goes to update the peripherals does it load it from the thumb drive again, or from what is loaded on the screen? I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks for the response.

dlloyd

Everything gets updated when the display gets updated. Two displays each need to get the new software. After the first display usually everything will show offline but will be okay after the second display is updated. I've been using mine for 9 years now and every now and then after the software something needs to be reconfigured.

rfazio1951

Thanks for the response, dlloyd. So you update with both screens running? Do one then the next, correct? that's what I did. When you have something that doesn't update do you still keep both screens on? Or do you update with only one screen running? Do you need the USB stick in when doing the reconfigure? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm down.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Richard,

It is safe to do it either way but the screen on the earlier version will show errors until it is also updated.

W

William_Ince

Recommend updating each display independently.
Before power up, remove power from one display, via pulled c/b.
Update first display, then shutdown that display. Then remove its power supply, via c/b, just like the other one before. Now both screens are unpowered.
Now enable power supply c/b to remaining display without update. Boot up that display and install update. Following update, recommend bringing other updated display online by enabling power supply and booting it up.
Displays should synchronize and be normal.

rfazio1951

wmince,

Thanks for the help. I will try that. The thing that I didn't do is remove power from the off display. I'm thinking that will make a difference. Even with the one display off the other knows it's there. Thanks again.

RF

dlloyd

While you can power one display and update it only, then do the other, I always put power on both and update each one. Also, some equipment may receive power from other sources such as the a/p servos and you want those things powered up. Transponder has only had one update and needed to have power turned on via my avionics master. I don't have an arinc429. Did it have power when you updated? When you reconfigured? Not always a matter of turning on one switch.

Raymo

I love aviation!
A display that is powered down is the same as one that has its CB pulled. The other display will not see it.

rfazio1951

Fixed!

I got it fixed. So every time I have a problem with my Dynon system it is caused by me. I recently added the second screen. I had a network wire running from my one screen to the arinc box which was on the co-pilot side of the plane. When I installed the new screen I pulled the network wire out of the arinc box and plugged it into the new screen. Then I installed the temporary wire dynon sends out with the system to connect from the new screen to the arinc box. Everything worked perfectly. A week later I made up a new network wire 3ft long to replace the temporary wire. I hooked it up and turned on the system. It came up normally I thought all was good. At the same time I decided to update the system. That's when I had the problem, all kinds of errors and I couldn't get the arinc to work. Yesterday I went out to the airport again and pulled out my new wire and plugged the temporary wire back in and it was fixed. As soon as I turned on the system it updated the arinc in a matter of minutes and all was well. I took home the suspect wire and found I had two wires crossed! Can't figure out how I did it but I did.

As to updating dual screens, here is the process according to Fazio! Take it with a grain of salt. With both screens on, insert the USB stick into one and update it. The first screen will update the screen and the RTIO only. it will reboot two times and come up with red Xs. It does not try to update the peripherals, which I have 7. Then put the USB in the second screen and it will update and reboot two times. Then it will start the network loader and start updating the peripherals, one at a time till they are done. The first screen will blink and the red Xs go away. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need the USB in to update the peripherals.They are being updated by the screen.