Duel Shunt

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Hello all. I have done a search for this but found an early answer and lots of software updates have happened since. I am building a Europa and am going to have a duel battery (possible lithium ferrous phosphate), duel alternator system to power all my electrical goodies. I am also installing 1x dynon touch and 1x dynon 7". My question is does the dynon show 2 ammeters?i.e can i install 2 shunts?

Many thanks Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Frank:

In a system with one SV-EMS-220/221, an SV-EMS-220/221 supports only one input for an AMPS Shunt.

However, you CAN monitor up to 4 different current paths (5 if you include the AMPS Shunt) by using an alternative current sensor called a Hall Effect Sensor (unfortunately, not sold by Dynon Avionics). See GRT CS-01 and CS-02 Hall Effect Current Sensor beginning on Page 7-54 of the SkyView System Installation Guide, Rev V.

I'll use that reference as a segue for a plug that when you're doing your planning for a panel or the avionics / electrical system of an entire aircraft, the SkyView System Installation Guide can be downloaded at any time and used as a reference in advance of purchasing anything from Dynon Avionics.

Hello all. I have done a search for this but found an early answer and lots of software updates have happened since. I am building a Europa and am going to have a duel battery (possible lithium ferrous phosphate), duel alternator system to power all my electrical goodies. I am also installing 1x dynon touch and 1x dynon 7". My question is does the dynon show 2 ammeters?i.e can i install 2 shunts?

Many thanks Frank

jakej

Frank

If you do not need both alternators on at the same time, & I'm figuring you don't, this is how I do it  :)

Run both alternator B leads through ANL fuses & then to the same side of the shunt (1 shunt only needed).
Wire both field wire circuits through a DPDT switch (ON-OFF-ON toggle type, using 1 pole for each field circuit) so that in the UP position the main #1 alternator is ON & in the Down position #2 is ON, centre is OFF (both off).
This way the shunt will read either alternator but not both.
If you have an electrical architecture that is more involved than this then disregard my comments.
You can PM me if you want  :)

HTH

Jake J

lgabriel

I love flying!
Frank -

I have two completely separate electrical systems, with a Dynon shunt on one alternator output and a GRT hall effect sensor on the other.

Although SV will show you both ammeters in flight, only the Dynon shunt will show up in the logs.  This is a known bug; see here for more info.

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Thanks very much for your replies gents. Jake, I do need both alternators running at the same time as I'm having two independent systems running side by side to power everything like Louis has. Louis, as long as I can see both alternator out puts in flight then this is all I care about. The electrical side of my build is not my strong point by any means so if I ask stupid questions I apologise in advance. I can purchase the GRT CS-02 sensor for LAS areo here in the UK so getting it is no problem. Do I just slide it over the output wire of the alternator and connect the two wires from the GRT sensor to two wires on the ems loom? Once again many thanks, Frank

lgabriel

I love flying!
Hi Frank -

Here's how my CS-02 is wired. The feeder from the alternator to the battery isn't depicted, but it passes through the loop in the orientation shown.

Please excuse my 3rd grade level drawing!

Attachments

• CS-02.jpg
    CS-02.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 113