DV video input to Dynon skyview touch?

dzubot

I love flying!
Hello, anyone know a way to directly plug in a digital video signal into the Dynon? I have two and want to use one as a display from a windows computer used for mapping work. Currently I’ve made it work using the USB video adapter and another HDMI to component adapter. But the video quality is not good, cannot read any text. It would be awesome to not have to go from a digital to analog to digital signal to make this work. Maybe Dynon can come out with HDMI input support? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• FDE9A7A6-0AEA-4413-AE72-DB28B9FA3596.jpeg
    FDE9A7A6-0AEA-4413-AE72-DB28B9FA3596.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 199

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Currently, the only supported formats are s-video and composite via the video input adapter.

dzubot

I love flying!
Thanks for the clarification of what is supported, will try S-Video to improve video quality. You can put me down on your list for one that would really like to see a better video input system. I know four other pilots in similar situation who would benefit from this with the dynon displays doing aerial work.

Going directly in from dv to dv vs two video adapters would be great.

dzubot

I love flying!
Just info for those interested, I purchased an HDMI to s-video adapter after purchasing an HDMI to component adapter. There was no video quality difference between the two. Still can’t read any text with S-video. Quality just isn’t good enough. Sadly cannot use the skyview as a pc monitor. Would’ve been the best setup,will have to use a third portable display in cockpit.

N21HV

I love flying!
S-Video and Composite video are essentially the same thing except S-video separates the luma and chroma channels on the separate line (S stands for "separate") instead of transmitting both on the single line. Underlying concept is the same and the resolution (number of scan line) is determined by the encoder but generally limited to NTSC video standard.

Component video is something different. It is where R G B color channels are transmitted on three different coax cables (Y Pb Pr or Y Cb Cr) and allows for analog transmission of higher resolution video (720p, 1080i/p).

I do not know what kind of equipment you are attaching but if you are able to reduce the screen resolution to VGA resolution (640x480) you may be able to get a better text legibility out of the component video feed. Of course, doing that will significantly reduce the amount of information.

Hiroo