dynon audio out

S5_aero

I love flying!
i am interested if i can connect skyviews audio out to icom a210e intercom microphone 2 input together with headset microphone.
now it is connected to aux input and every time squelch is opened dynon audio alerts are muted. this bothers me a lot as i also have aoa audio alert and they are almost every  time muted out, not to mention other useful audio alerts...
so if i could transfer dynons audio out to intercom input i could manualy mute it via intercom off button if needed... probbably never.
any other solutions to make audio alerts unmuted all the time?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Generally, mic inputs aren't ideal for taking in non-mics. They require a MUCH smaller signal than the level that SkyView and other devices provide.

Another thought is that the Dynon Intercom has a dedicated non-muting input for SkyView. So that's another option.

mrdaud

Also take a look at the Flight Data systems audio mixer at: 
http://www.fdatasystems.com/ap-60-audio-mixer

I have this in my plane and it has worked well for me. It provides a different installation format relative to the MakerPlane mixer mentioned by Jake, so you have some options depending how you want to do installation.

vlittle

I would recommend using the ICom's Auxiliary audio inputs, NOT the mic inputs. Since there are multiple Aux inputs, you can connect the SkyView L and R outputs to the Icom individually.

I would highly recommend terminating the SkyView Outputs with resistors to audio LO (gnd). Try 100 ohms. This will greatly reduce noise from the SkyView.

Unless you want full stereo sound capability, this is the simplest and cheapest method. For a lot more flexibility, you can use the Makerplane AMX-2A (mono) or AMX-4A/B (stereo), but in general you don't need a mixer. Full disclosure: I am the designer of the AMX devices. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of these in use.

Vern

S5_aero

I love flying!
Vern, i am already using like this, but icoms auxiliary audio input is muted everytime there is activity on radio (squeltch opened) so this option is useless for efis audio alerts. I tried every setting for aux and i cant make it unmuted.

The radio manufacturer doesen't seem to answer any emails as i send them few and no answer regarding unmuting aux ports.

So my cheapest idea was to wire it to mic2 input but I guess there is no easy "cheap" DIY solutions... and now it looks like i would need to buy a mixer and rewire everything.  This is what i want to avoid.

I would love to have dynon radio and intercom but they were not available back then when we bought the plane.

vlittle

Vern, i am already using like this, but icoms auxiliary audio input is muted everytime there is activity on radio (squeltch opened) so this option is useless for efis audio alerts. I tried every setting for aux and i cant make it unmuted.

The radio manufacturer doesen't seem to answer any emails as i send them few and no answer regarding unmuting aux ports.

So my cheapest idea was to wire it to mic2 input but I guess there is no easy "cheap" DIY solutions... and now it looks like i would need to buy a mixer and rewire everything.  This is what i want to avoid.

I would love to have dynon radio and intercom but they were not available back then when we bought the plane.

I'm pretty sure you can configure this in the setup menu:

D External Input “AUX IN” Set the external input mode.
• OFF • ON
• INCOM
: The external input is OFF.
: The external input is available while the squelch is
closed.
: The external input is available with the intercom op-
erations as following.
- The intercom function is OFF.
- While the intercom function is not in use.
- While an audio signal is not input into the intercom’s
microphone.
D External Input Level “AUX LEVEL” Set the external input level.
• OFF (0) : The external input does not operate. •001to080 :Setstheexternalinputlevelfrom1to80.
• AF GAIN
: Interlocked with [VOL].

S5_aero

I love flying!
I'm pretty sure you can configure this in the setup menu:

D External Input “AUX IN” Set the external input mode.
• OFF • ON
• INCOM
: The external input is OFF.
: The external input is available while the squelch is
closed.
: The external input is available with the intercom op-
erations as following.
- The intercom function is OFF.
- While the intercom function is not in use.
- While an audio signal is not input into the intercom’s
microphone.
D External Input Level “AUX LEVEL” Set the external input level.
• OFF (0) : The external input does not operate. •001to080 :Setstheexternalinputlevelfrom1to80.
• AF GAIN
: Interlocked with [VOL].
i'm also supprised this is not an option  to have it allways on. they probbaly have some regulations to folow that they are not providing this option. they don't respond to me so i don't know why.
just to explain the OFF settings sets auxilary audio to mute.
the ON settings sets auxilary audio to ON only when radio doesen't recieve or transmit (when squelch is opened auxlary audio is muted) in other words if someone is talking on radio you can not hear any efis audio. this is my current setting
the INCOM is similar to ON but it also mutes auxilary audio when you use intercom even less efis alerts to your ear.
this is why i asked if i can use mic2 input insted as that input is not muted unless i turn off intercom.
the AUX LEVEL is set to be at fixed volume so it is always hearable.