Dynon Avionics Shop

flysgi

I love flying!
I have a SkyView Touch in my RV12 that at this point is unusable. I can’t say enough good about the support I have received from Dynon. However they are in Oregon, I’m in North Carolina. Two close shops are installers for Dynon, both have 6-8 months waiting lists to even get into. Does anyone know of a shop with real Dynon expertise within a more reasonable distance where I can get some help?

Carl_Froehlich

Forget the avionics shops. Look for a builder that has done a couple of SkyView installs. Start with your local EAA chapter.

Carl

airguy

Agreed. Call Bill Repucci at seven oh four six oh seven four five seven two. He's not far from you, and can either help you out directly or will know someone who can. Tell him Greg sent you. Bill is a Skyview Beta tester like me, he knows the system backwards and forwards.

flysgi

I love flying!
What exactly is making it unusable?
Most appreciative of the geography lesson, most helpful.

After 400 hours of running perfectly, the attitude screen went nuts, altitude to 52000 ft, airspeed 0, overspeed alarm blaring, etc., etc. I've had several iterations of the above, but nothing that stays fixed. At this point, the attitude screen is a big red x, with the message of an internal error of the adahrs failure and Pitot sensor internal error. The map and EMS seems to be usually working although at times all three screens are big red x's..
Dynon has been incredible. First we replaced the ADAHRS without help, after about 15 minutes it failed. Then they actually gave me a new display, and a second ADAHRS, and it has worked as described above. The error on the second ADAHRS is now consistently that it is corrupted.
The plane is apart now and I have not found any shorts and the wiring seems to all be intact. During the process the pitot system to have developed a leak (although by that time. it had been on and off a few times). I have gone completely through the tubing, replaced every connection, including the static source as well.
In the past, I have added the Aithre Shiel Carbon Monoxide system as we'll as the AP knob modules, but that was at least 100 hours ago and they have worked perfectly.

Any suggestions other than geographical would be appreciated.

PhatRV

Your symptoms look like the issues I had when the ADHARS unit failed. The attitude was all over, sometime tilting left, then right, then up or down while the airplane was sitting on the ground. The heading sometimes was pointing up to 90 degrees in one direction and then it switched to another direction.
On my RV8, I mounted a Garmin G5 in the case the Dynon unit goes haywire while in flight. If you ADHARS failed in 400 hours, this is also approximately the MTBF (meantime between failure) of the mechanical vacuum pump in the old steam gauge. Mine unit failed at 0 hour. I expect much higher reliability on the solid state avionic equipment.