Dynon Comm Help

Zazoos

I love flying!
Symptoms:
Flying close to another airplane the other day and they reported that sometimes my comm message was broken and other times they couldn't hear anything other than me keying up.

Next day a friend with a handheld radio on the ground reported that he could hear me clearly when I was in the pattern but if I get much more elevation or move even a 1/4 mile from the pattern the message would be broken or just the key up.

Another plane departing the pattern reported my comm message was broken.

I am able to hear everything clearly.

What I tried to resolve the issue:
Tried 2 different Lightspeed Headsets.
Tried both headsets in both comm jacks.
Tried different frequencies.

Equipment:
RAMI AV-17 Antenna mounted below baggage area. Coaxial cable is less than 1 foot in length and was made by ACS.
Dynon SV Comm.

Thank you for the help.

Trent

Raymo

I love aviation!
  • Make sure your mic jacks are isolated from the airframe
  • Confirm the antenna is properly grounded and has a sufficiently large ground plain

bruceh

I'm getting a very similar issue with my Dynon COM. I've heard back from several people over the last couple of months that my transmissions are mostly missing on certain frequencies, but they can hear my keying up.
I have the original COM unit. When I first got it back in 2014, I had numerous issues with the unit. It went back and forth to Dynon twice. The second time they sent me a different unit and it has been working fine until recently. The issue we had with the unit back then was that it would not transmit stable on frequency. We checked the unit with a frequency counter and when you would key the mic, you could see the carrier frequency wander. A lot of the words being spoken on transmit would be chopped randomly.

I'm wondering if my unit needs another replacement. I only have a single COM and I fly out of a controlled airport.

If Dynon can replace the unit with the new Trig version, what is required to swap? I recently installed one in another airplane and it looks like the mounting is different, along with the coax connector now being a TNC, instead of BNC. Is the other DB type connections the same?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi Bruce - you're correct on the TNC/BNC, and although the D-sub connector is different, we have an adapter harness. Get in touch with our support team at the contact information in our signature for further help with this issue.

bruceh

I've left voicemail with Dynon Service/Support.

I did some further testing last night. Put my iPhone on voice memo recording next to my handheld (20 yards from the airplane), then did several different transmissions from the Dynon COM in the airplane. Several frequencies were very choppy/unreadable, and several were just fine. This is exactly the same issues I had previously.