Dynon D-100 attitude error

Airbuspilot

My Efis attitude is not very accurate in roll, on ground when I enter RWY the tight turn make the roll bank and it is remain banked after takeoff for a few minute. Pitch is always accurate even on aerobatics but roll is not. I have been flying behing certify glass cockpit for thousand hours and this unit does not bank when you turn the plane on ground.
I like a lot my dynon efis but I would not fly it under IMC.

Is this normal or is a problem with my D-100 I have intalled the latest 5.3 software :'(

lindsayj

My Efis attitude is not very accurate in roll, on ground when I enter RWY the tight turn make the roll bank and it is remain banked after takeoff for a few minute. Pitch is always accurate even on aerobatics but roll is not. I have been flying behing certify glass cockpit for thousand hours and this unit does not bank when you turn the plane on ground.
I like a lot my dynon efis but I would not fly it under IMC.

Is this normal or is a problem with my D-100 I have intalled the latest 5.3 software :'(
Do you have a garmin 430/530 installed? Jack L

Airbuspilot

No I have a garmin 495 installed and connected to the dynon.

Attitud in my dynon works like funny attitude indicator on my iphone, when I turn on ground (taxi out and in) the roll bank, so the gyros are not working as they should, I think their is something wrong with my unit.
I hope dynon guys will be able to fix with software and I don't have to send my unit back to USA that cost a lot of money and time from Chile :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This sounds like an issue with your unit, but, as a test, try shutting of your GPS, shut down and power up your EFIS-D100, and taxi around. Does that change the behavior?

Airbuspilot

This sounds like an issue with your unit, but, as a test, try shutting of your GPS, shut down and power up your EFIS-D100, and taxi around. Does that change the behavior?

I will try and let you know

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Same question - does the behavior change when the 430 is powered off?

Airbuspilot

I just did the test yesterday, I turned on everything except the GPS I taxed out and flew, attitude indication where perfect.

Do you know if I can fix it without have to send my RFID to you?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
How fast are you taxiing when you see the erroneous bank? How many degrees does it tilt? Is it only when you "whip it around" when lining up, or are you accumulating roll error during gentle turns while taxiing? Are you taxiing fast enough to see the "GPS ASSIST" message? Finally, any chance you can send us a datalog? Ideally, we'd want you to set the datalog to 1 per sec updates, then clear it (to remove already-stored data), then do a demonstration of the behavior, and then download it to your computer and send it to us.

Airbuspilot

How fast are you taxiing when you see the erroneous bank? How many degrees does it tilt? Is it only when you "whip it around" when lining up, or are you accumulating roll error during gentle turns while taxiing? Are you taxiing fast enough to see the "GPS ASSIST" message? Finally, any chance you can send us a datalog? Ideally, we'd want you to set the datalog to 1 per sec updates, then clear it (to remove already-stored data), then do a demonstration of the behavior, and then download it to your computer and send it to us.

I taxied about 5 to 10 knots, attitude error around 5 degrees specially on line up. The error remain for 2 or 3 minutes in flight. I never seen the message "gps assist" on ground or flight. I will be sending you the datalog next week. Thanks

DBRV10

I had a D180 with attitude sensor issues. Dynon Support, you could maybe look back into that case and compare it to this one. You may have a small number of gyro's that are not playing the game after a while.

Not likely but could be what is happening. compare the S/No's and component supply.

Cheers

DB

ConradNordquist

I had a similar problem yesterday in moderate turbulence. The plane fishtailed, wings level, and the EFIS showed rolls up to 30 degrees left and right. I have no nav connections to the EFIS. :(

Airbuspilot

Dynon support please reply!!!

I have been doing test and the strange behavior with the attitude indicator on turns on ground just happens with my gps (garmin 495) connected to my dynons but I have never seen the "gps assist" message, could be just a software problem or is my unit a faulty one.
I fly glass cockpit on work and I really love my dynons, I am starting to build a 10 and I want to install skyview but I really need to debug my attitud indicator problems :(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
At a technical level, the GPS Assist message is inhibited below certain speeds when you haven't yet been flying to inhibit nuisance messages. When you're taxiing, it is not unusual for the attitude to be slightly inaccurate at moments. After you take-off, it should be okay though.

bule

I have previously written about a similar issue where after start up, the horizon will bank to roughly 5 degrees on level ground without moving the aircraft. Usually, it would correct itself 10-15 minutes after startup (on ground or in air). This was happening intermittently for the last year of so. Perhaps more so if the aircraft sat in the hangar for two weeks or more without flying.
Two weeks ago, it happened again. Only this time, it progressed to a 60 degree bank (in level flight) shortly after take-off. Once again, it settled down 5-10 minutes later. My unit is installed in a RV6A completed in 2001 with almost 700 hours TSN. Could it be time for a shop visit to trouble-shoot the discrepancy?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We might need to take a look at that. Give us a call at 425-402-0433 to troubleshoot further.

sstearns2

I have the same issue.  I have a taildragger and zig zag a lot during taxi for visibility.  It's normal to takeoff with the attitude indicator showing 5 degrees of bank.  I have a gns 430w installed.  I was hoping there was a way to cage the gyro to wings level just before takeoff.  Is there?  

Cheers,
Scott

Edit... I need to install the latest update so that may fix it.

Brantel

There is no way to cage to gyro. Something is not right if yours does this. Call Dynon to verify your installation and AHRS.