Dynon D180 died inflight, black screen, unable to reboot.

jamespearce

I love flying!
My D180 just stopped working mid-flight yesterday. All possible reboot methods would not start it. At the hangar I have checked the power supply to the dsub and it is good, about 12.4 volts and the ground is good. I pulled the D180 to my workshop and connected an external 12 volt + power source and the device is lifeless. I don't think it has any bearing on the fault but the internal battery is completely dead. I should think it's a back to base issue (I'm in the UK) but if anyone knows of anything else I can try, I would be most grateful, before I send it back to Dynon for repair. Thanks, James.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you have the internal backup battery, try disconnecting that. Else, get in touch with our support team. Contact information in signature.

jamespearce

I love flying!
Thanks. UPS are headed your way with my D180 ✈. I just hope your technicians find something wrong :oops:

dothetime

I love flying!
What was the outcome? What did they find?
I’m having a similar problem.
Dave

jamespearce

I love flying!
Hi Dave. Dynon repaired it on the £450 max promise and replaced the mainboard and display board. I used it for a couple of weeks and the fault reoccurred. It was shipped back to Dynon in America again and was repaired FOC. It's been a couple of months now and behaving itself, fingers crossed. They don't seem to go into much detail with their findings during the repair, I wish they would but they have been courteous, extremely efficient and helpful throughout the process.
Oh, Ps, as an extra precaution, I have started switching the Dynon completely off before starting or stopping the engine in case their was some sort of "electrical spiking" going on. Cheers, James