Dynon D180 - Does not Connect to Lap Top

PhillipG

Hi,
I want to up load Ver 5.2 onto my D180, (current Ver. 4.2.2)

I have connected the EFIS to my laptop, switched it ON, started the support program, selected update - but it does not connect to the D180.

What am I doing wrong?
Please help..

Etienne

Hi Phillip

Is the Dynon screen going yellow at all, or just displaying it's normal screen?

Looking at the jump in versions, it doesn't seem like you've done an upgrade before. Is this correct?

What version of Windows are you running, and are you going through a USB to Serial converter?

The communication between the Efis and the laptop is pretty simple, and only relies on 3 wires: Ground, Tx and Rx. Assuming the ground wire is correct, then there is a possibility that the Tx and Rx wires have been switched. This would result in nothing happening on the Efis.

So, my advice is to re-check the wiring very carefully (from the table listing the pin numbers on the 25-pin socket to the 9-pin socket). Even though I bought a wiring harness with my Efis, there was a problem with it that resulted in a problem doing upgrades.

Hope that helps
Etienne
ZU-BPY  :)

PhillipG

Hi Etienne,

Yes, you're right, this is the first time I try to up date the firmware.

I bought the plane from someone in Durban.

There is nothing happening at all on the Dynon screen,(stays normal)  and the laptop says - "connecting" and then goes through all the ports to try to connect.
And yes, I am using the USB to Serial connection that came with the system.
There are two serial ports underneath the dash board, and I tried them both with no result.

PS. the laptop also said " found unknown device"
Could it be that I need to download a driver for the dynon?

Thx
Phillip

Etienne

There are two possibilities that I can think of. I was hoping Dynon would step in here with the extra info, but in the mean time...

The D-100 series don't need any drivers, but the USB->Serial converter may need drivers. Leaving the Dynon unplugged, just plug the converter into the laptop and see what Windows says about drivers. Normally, you don't need any extra driver software, but it has been known to happen.

The next thing to find out is which serial port plug is the correct one, and there is an easy way to do that. Open up the housing of each of the plugs. One of the plugs will have 2 wires going to it, and the other will have 3 wires. The one with 2 wires is used for the transponder interface, and you shouldn't need to worry about it. The plug with 3 wires is the one that connects to the laptop.

Using the installation guide, page 2-2, the connections between the 25-pin plug for the Dynon and the 9-pin plug for the laptop are as follows:
Pin 9 on the Dynon plug goes to Pin 5 on the laptop plug
Pin 10 on the Dynon plug goes to Pin 2 on the laptop plug
Pin 22 on the Dynon plug goes to Pin 3 on the laptop plug

Check those connections, and I'm guessing you'll find a problem there. Another issue I've had is that the ground pin on the Dynon was dead, which required another fix, but hopefully that won't be the problem with yours.

Whereabouts are you based?

Thanks
Etienne

PhillipG

Thx,

I will try this - will only have time next week-end though.

I hangar at FABS (Brits)

rvmills

Here's one more thing to check. If you have a GPS connected to your EFIS via serial, make sure it is disconnected when you do the update.

Two ways to do that:

1. Turn the switch to off (f you have a switch that disconnects the GPS from the EFIS, or selects between a GPS, an SL-30, and off, then make sure that switch is off).

2. If you don't have a switch (like me), then just turn the GPS off.

I pulled many hairs out when I forgot about this one. With the GPS connected, it behaved just as you described...the DS Support Program found the EFIS, but then no yellow screen and it cycled through all comm ports until it gave up. Once the GPS was turned off (dooohhhh!), it worked like a champ.

Best of luck, hope its something simple such as this!

Cheers,
Bob

PhillipG

Hi Bob,

Thx, my GPS(296) and the SL30 was switched ON. So I will definately follow your advice first this week-end.
Will let you guys know - thx again.

I also really hope it's just something simple - keep fingers crossed. ;)

PhillipG

No luck !!
I have checked the serial port connections - all correct (black, orange and yellow)
I have switched of the GPS(296) and radio(SL40)
I had 2 laptops, one with Vista and one with Windows XP.

.......... NOTHING!! No connection, No yellow screen or what ever...

It says - found device on Com 2 and then starts cycling through the other com ports..

Etienne

I have only one more suggestion: check continuity between pin 5 on the 9-pin plug and ground. If there's nothing, then I suspect you may have a dead ground on the efis. If that's the case, then you can poach the ground from the other serial port.

If there is continuity, then I'm all out of ideas! :-?