Dynon D6 Brightness

glasair

I note that there is a "high brightness" option available for this product.  What is the brightness like for the standard brightness?
Does it have good sunlight readibility or is "high brightness" a neccesity?

PhantomPholly

Depends on your airplane and intended use. I have a full bubble canopy; while I think I could probably make out the lower brightness screen in full sunlight, with my eyes getting older I am glad I got the brite option.

If you're just flying VFR it might not matter so much.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The Dynon D6 DOES NOT have a high brightness option. None of our 4" products have any options for screen brightness (D6, EFIS-D10A, EMS-D10). The brightness of these screens is about 450 nits.

The D100, D120, and D180 do have bright screen options that increase the brightness from 400 to 800 nits.

Note that the D60 (the 7" version of the D6) comes with the brighter screen standard and cannot be ordered with the standard screen.

wv4i

Re the D10A, I find the display plenty bright, was a little wary of this also. I have an RV6, slider, with flat/med black panel, normal amount of hood overhang, also flat/med black. There are no other glossy surfaces in cockpit where light could be reflected, bounced around. I have operated the D10A on cloudless and cloudy days, up to 11,500', no readability problems. It is probably a little easier for me to read than some of the finer detail of my GPS 296 moving map, located center panel. I do find that I have reduced sensitivity to light, i.e. really don't need sunglasses as much as I used to, yet the brightness is easily enough. Results may vary by user, cockpit config/decor, etc., but what I've observed.