Dynon EFIS 5.1 software bug

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon has been contacted about a small number of EFIS units that have incorrect attitude displays after upgrading to 5.1. It appears to affect a very small percentage of customers, but for now we have removed the download of the 5.1 software and are investigating a fix. We expect to have an updated version of software shortly. This problem is so rare that it didn't get caught even with units in many, many beta test aircraft.

If you have already downloaded and installed 5.1 on an EFIS, please consider reverting to an earlier backup of the unit if you need to use the attitude as a primary reference or wait for the software update. If your attitude looks fine under 5.1 and you wish to continue using 5.1, then please test it with no GPS data being sent to the EFIS. If it still looks OK with no GPS, then the attitude is trustworthy in all situations.

EMS only units (D10, D120) are unaffected.

PhantomPholly

Just thought I'd point out how totally different Dynon's response is to issues than with some other manufacturers.  Over the years at least one large GPS manufacturer has conducted orchestrated denial programs to prevent acknowledging problems.

Thanks for the swift and transparent handling of issues Dynon!

DBRV10

It is a very smart move, and usually prevents you from being sued for some stupid thing.

Its very un-American, and these days almost the same here, as usually, like with hospitals, if you admit mistakes happen, be open and helpful to he patient and family, it costs way less than the first round of lawyers bills.

In Dynons case, its Good Marketing, but also just good common sense!

DB :)

Pitufo

Re: Dynon EFIS 5.1 so far so good

I have a D100/AP74 system with two servos.
I upgraded last weekend to 5.1 and nothing strange npticed.

Next time, I will disconnect the GPS signal, in order to check as Dynon says.

BTW, in a 1 hr flight lost NAV SRC twice.

Pitufo

My GPS is a Garmin 396.

No ARINC, so, no cutting corners when navigating a route :-?

But you can also cut them manually, can't you?

I'm very happy with my D100/AP74, works just fine

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The fix for the 5.1 bug - 5.1.1 - is out now and available in our download area.

Also, know that we are aware of the GPS AP dropout issue that a few of you are experiencing and are hunting it down.

timfwalsh01

I loaded the 5.1.1 upgrade, and my EFIS D10A went crazy, Attitude Indicator was doing all shorts of flips.  The DG was also spinning.

I reloaded the previous version 5.1, and it was back to normal.  I noticed that my GPS 496 was on while I was uploading 5.1.1.  I decided to reload 5.1.1 with the GPS turned off (I was hoping to save myself a trip back to the airport once I reported this.

However, I now have the Blue Screen of death!!  I cannot reload the earlier version, the software tries to connect, but it cannot recognize the EFIS.

What do you suggest?  Thanks  Tim

16FW

Is it possible to get a copy of 5.0? I just got an unused D10A off eBay, and it only has version 4.2.0 on it. I don't want to do testing with newer software, I am confused enough as it is.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Well, 5.1 fixes things that were broken in 5.0.... And we really do think 5.1 is a safer version due to GPS assist. And all 5.0 really adds to 4.2 is the autopilot, so unless you are using that, it's not much of a change. "Only 4.2" was only two updates ago, out of about 20 updates the D10A has had since it came out in 2004.

But if you really want it, here it is:

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Software/Dynon_Support_5_0.exe

You can see the changelog here:
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/RevLog_EFISD10A.html

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Tim,
That unit sounds like it got a bad software load somehow. The only thing we can suggest is to pull all the power, and then the internal battery connection for a minute if you have one, and then try powering it up. If this doesn't work, it will need to come back here.

16FW

OK, I will leave 4.2 until I get it installed and working. Then I will try upgrading to 5.1.1

Thanks
Well, 5.1 fixes things that were broken in 5.0.... And we really do think 5.1 is a safer version due to GPS assist. And all 5.0 really adds to 4.2 is the autopilot, so unless you are using that, it's not much of a change. "Only 4.2" was only two updates ago, out of about 20 updates the D10A has had since it came out in 2004.

But if you really want it, here it is:

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Software/Dynon_Support_5_0.exe

You can see the changelog here:
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/RevLog_EFISD10A.html

timfwalsh01

I pulled the battery out as you suggested....no change the Blue Screen of Death :)  I pulled it out and will send it back to you.

Now that it is out, I now realize how much I like and use it.

I have a long cross country and will put it off until I get the unit back.

Thanks.  Tim

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you sent it back without an RMA (return authorization), please give technical support a call at 425-402-0433 to get one opened. Otherwise, it may not get immediate attention.

gianmarko

i have loaded 5.1 to both my D10A and i didnt notice anything strange with the attitude or AP. GPS is always connected and sending data to the EFIS.

however i have noticed something strange. the wind vector indicates some really silly values, as it can be seen here

http://gianmarco.dyndns.org/varie/windvector.jpg

values are in KMH.
under 5.0 wind vector was accurate, afaik.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First off - if you've uploaded 5.1 but not 5.1.1, you'll want the 5.1.1 update since it fixes a small bug that can affect attitude performance.

Is the GPS ground track icon off to the side of just decluttered? If GPS isn't pointed within 10 degrees of straight ahead of you, there may have a problem with your GPS signal.

Does your magnetic heading look about right?

gianmarko

First off - if you've uploaded 5.1 but not 5.1.1, you'll want the 5.1.1 update since it fixes a small bug that can affect attitude performance.

Is the GPS ground track icon off to the side of just decluttered? If GPS isn't pointed within 10 degrees of straight ahead of you, there may have a problem with your GPS signal.

Does your magnetic heading look about right?

magnetic heading looks ok as far as i can see. i dont understand the bit "If GPS isn't pointed within 10 degrees of straight ahead of you, there may have a problem with your GPS signal."

i am not aware of any problem with gps signal, i obviously get gps data in the dynon or AP wouldnt work on track.

p92

EFIS D-100 got crazy

I´am aware of the bug. Just to inform that my EFIS D-100 (part nbr: 100533-001, bought on 4/15/2008) has got crazy since updating from 5.0 to 5.1 release. The horizon is completely unreliable. Banks of 10º on either sides responds with 60 to 80º on the display. Turn coordinator and pitch as well.
Waiting for new release.
Thank you