Dynon GPS integration

Battson

Bearhawk
Hi Dynon Support,

We have a D100 and D120 in our plane, with a networked Garmin GPS. We are interested in adding a new Skyview screen to become ADS-B compliant and to replace the Garmin. I would like to know what other hardware I will need to achieve this, beyond the screen, GPS, and transponder.

For example, will I need extra hardware for altitude encoding, or can this be provided to the Skyview from the D100?

Can I get the Skyview to pass the GPS feed to the D100 for Winds Aloft calculations?

Will the Skyview work as a pure GPS + transponder without an AHDARS?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the D100/D120 do not have much integration with SkyView, in part because most people have historically upgraded the whole panel (and so there hasn't been much demand for this), and in part because of the architectural differences.

For example, will I need extra hardware for altitude encoding, or can this be provided to the Skyview from the D100?

Your SkyView needs an SV-ADAHRS-200 for its primarly flight instruments, and SkyView then can provide - as your D100 can - a serial altitude encoder signal for either your SkyView or 3rd party transponder. It cannot use the D100 as an external altitude encoder. For the transponder side of things, we'd of course recommend the SV-XPNDR-261 since it's your most affordable route to 2020 compliance when paired with the $590 SV-GPS-2020 compliant position source.

Can I get the Skyview to pass the GPS feed to the D100 for Winds Aloft calculations?

Yes. SkyView has NMEA output that you can use to give the D100 a GPS position signal.

Will the Skyview work as a pure GPS + transponder without an AHDARS?

The transponder needs altitude from the SV-ADAHRS-200 (it can not get it from the EFIS-D100). Also, to be ADS-B Out compliant, the ADS-B system needs air data information from the ADAHRS side of SkyView as well to determine air/ground status.

All of that said, we just launched a rebate that you may be interested in if you're interested in trading in your D10/D100 series avionics towards a complete SkyView system. Check out the details here: http://www.dynonavionics.com/rebate/

Battson

Bearhawk
Great - this looks like a great way for me to stay with Dynon's great product range into the ADS-B future, while still retaining the D100 series screens which I really like.

Is the Dynon ADS-B fully certified and compliant with all the FAA requirements for ADS-B, or are some complianc checks outstanding?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep - the SV-XPNDR-261 + SV-GPS-2020 (or another compliant GPS source, like a Avidyne IFD series, or Garmin 430W, GTN, etc) are 2020-compliant installations.

Battson

Bearhawk
Just to clarify - you are saying the D100 is not a certified source for ADSB altitude encoder signals, so even if I could hook it up to a third party or Dynon ADSB system - it would not be certifiable anyway. Is that right?

Raymo

I love aviation!
Just to clarify - you are saying the D100 is not a certified source for ADSB altitude encoder signals, so even if I could hook it up to a third party or Dynon ADSB system - it would not be certifiable anyway. Is that right?

Right. The GPS-2020 antenna provides the necessary WAAS position to the Skyview and SV-XPNDR-261, along with AD-AHRS information to be ADSB compliant. If you have all that, according to the Dynon post above, you can feed the position to your D100, if you want and you have an available serial TX port.