Dynon GPS Support

WT9

Hi!
Today I hooked a Garmin 496 (V 2.9) to my D100 (V1.08). In the Forum is to read the 496 works well with the D100.
But I have following Problem:
All Data seems correct on the D100 HSI-Page! Also the HSI Needle works correct! For 1 second - then the needle jump to N. After another 1 second the HSI jump to the correct course back again - and so on. The HSI Needle changes from corect to N every 1 second!
I think I tried every possible adjustment in the NMEA-Menü - but no changes!
Perhaps I forgot something?

Anyone with an Idea?

Regards John

WT9

I think I made any adjustment correct!

NMEA In / NMEA out
Output speed is set to "normal" (4800 Baud)
I tried to change "Garmin output" enabled and disabled

Everything works fine! Only the HSI is JUMPING !!! from correct to North - changing every second!

Did anyone had this problem before ?

Regards, John

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We haven't heard of this once the data rate is set to normal, but you might try 9600 baud to mix things up.

Also, know that if you're not powering your 496 off of ships power, you'll want to run a ground line between the GPS and your Dynon.

az_gila

Does your comment on the UPSAT GX-50/GX-60 also include he GX-55 and GX-65 units?

thanks  gil A

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
They probably won't work (but can't be certain). From a quick glance, it looks like they only differ in their IFR certifications, so they're likely the same basic electronics underneath.

Mel

Re: D10 External Backup Battery

I have an early D10. If the external backup battery is connected, is the external battery charged or is it a constant loss system?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The D10/D10A only use the external backup as a second power source. They will not charge something connected here.

They do charge the optional internal battery.

mike@tantacomm

I was just about to ask about the baud rate and the NMEA sentence issue, but the
posting took care of this, my problem would have been APB,

The Garmin 165 (and 155 regular panel mount, I think) output RMC, GGA, GSA, RMB,
GSV, BOD, WPL and a Garmin proprietary PGMRE,

I'll let you know how it plays, Garmin has two serial outs, one for a map and
one for whatever,

Thanks
Mike

mdevans9

Any further word on WT9's post of March 12th regarding the HSI jumping to North every other second? I too want to connect a Garmin 496 to a EFIS D-100, but the Garmin book indicates that neither GPBOD nor GPAPB are output and Dynon says at least one is required to have the HSI work properly. Is the Garmin information old/incorrect or is this the problem? Thanks for any information.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've had plenty of people using the 296 / 396 / 496 with the HSI with no problems for half a year now. When wired and set up correctly, it will work.

vlittle

Has anyone managed to get Altitude to display on the HSI page when connected to a Garmin 296? I'm running NMEA IN/OUT.

Advice appreciated.

Vern Little

ericd

Any further word on WT9's post of March 12th regarding the HSI jumping to North every other second? I too want to connect a Garmin 496 to a EFIS D-100, but the Garmin book indicates that neither GPBOD nor GPAPB are output and Dynon says at least one is required to have the HSI work properly. Is the Garmin information old/incorrect or is this the problem? Thanks for any information.

I am not super familiar with this model of GPS, but am quite familiar with GPS spec as a whole. You may want to look at the reporting rate of the GPS output. Some GPS manufacturers give you the ability to control the reporting rate anywhere from multiple times per second to less than once per second.

Don't confuse baud rate with reporting rate as they are not the same. Most GPSs hide reporting rate adjustment inside AUX menus or initial setup menus. Normally, sentence content is not affected by an increase in reporting rate, but I have seen cases where a maximum reporting rate combined with maximum sentence output has resulted in data loss (mainly checksum info) and sentence corruption.

This may or may not help, but it is food for thought. :cool:

lsaflyer

Hello Guy's: I would like to connect my skyforce III c to the D-10A but have no idea how. Do you can expain it how setup and wireing has to be, please. This would be great. Thx a lot.

WAU, I found it out today: skymap sub-d connection pin 2 is TX-Data must go to D10A pin 16 and skymap pin 4 is RX-Data must connected to D10A pin 10; ofcourse with GND. To setup the skymap is a little bit tricky to get the Datatransfer-Page. There you have to select the Protokoll. That's it. It works fine.  :)

rngaines

I am using an AvMap EKP 4 with Dynon D10A. All seems to work well except the wind speed. Direction of wind and xwind component seems OK but the actual speed is much too high. I am running the suggested serial data strings.

Any suggestions?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Good direction but bad speed could be caused by TAS that isn't quite right. That could in turn be caused by an OAT that's really off.

Per NMEA spec (the GPS output format), speed should always be reported in knots. But make sure that the AvMap doesn't have a configuration that allows that to be changed to somethings else. This isn't likely, but is still something to look into.

alan_milner

I'm using an EKP IV with a D100 EFIS and had problems at initial setup when I was sending too much information from the GPS (it also drives a trutrak autopilot so I turned everything on to get it going) . I trimmed the sentence down and it works perfectly now. I checked the wind speed with a couple of reverse legs and it was correct for me.
I can't remember the exact settings but can check the config if you wish?

Alan

Butt

Hi Guys,
anyone out there running a garmin 150(gps only) in there setup with any dynon instruments. Dynon, do you have any info on garmon 150/dynon setup? Please advice.

regards

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Put the 150 in NMEA or Aviation output format and hook it up like any other GPS. No setup needed on the EFIS side, and we'll auto-detect the format. It should work just fine.