Dynon Install guide vs Wiring Diagram (for Pitot)

mikelupo

Anyone here ever notice that in the wiring block diagram, they show the Pitot being wired up on Pin 23, while in the installation guide, it tells us to stay away from pin 23 and suggests some other pins to use.

Why the contradiction?
I wired my Pitot status (white wire) up on pin 23 like the block diagram shows (with a 10K ohm resistor).

John Bright

IMO because Dynon dwg 103488-000 Rev G... Sheet 13 of 15... EMS WIRING #1 - FLAPS, GEAR, CARB TEMP, PITOT HEAT shows pitot heat as "existing equipment" versus a Dynon heated pitot.

Seems like a waste of an Enhanced General Purpose Input. I use pin 9 for the pitot controller white wire but I'm in the planning stage. I happen to use pin 23 for a hall effect current sensor.

Rhino

I find nothing in the manual that cautions against using pin 23, except for resistive fuel level sensors. You choose how to connect general purpose sensor inputs. The tables in the manual are just suggested connections. They also vary from table to table, so obviously they aren't mandatory. Your only consideration is making sure the input is compatible with the designed pin use.

mikelupo

Many of the tables in the manual show it using pin 9.
Yeah I think I am a going to move some stuff around. That pitot can definitely go on pin 9.
I realize this is topic creep, but any suggestions for a best pin(s) for lateral and pitch trim indications? It’s all Ray Allen.
I was thinking maybe 10 and 11 since I don’t fly a retract. I also have the Hall effect sensor for amps. I wish they would autoconfigure. My confidence is low as this is new territory (for now! lol)

Rhino

Any compatibility designation pins A (yellow), B (green), or C (blue) from Table 33 can be used for trim sensors, as long as you heed the voltage guidelines. 10 and 11 should work.

airguy

With the variety of capabilities of the various inputs on the EMS, it would be a good thing to bring your inputs into the "dumbest" pin on the EMS that will serve the purpose of that wire. You will likely find later on that you need to add this widget or that, and some of them will require the capabilities of the higher level inputs, so fill up the lower level inputs first as a preference and preserve the higher level capabilities.