Dynon Intercom Jack Wiring Help Needed

melkel2000

Hi. I'm in the midst of replacing my old DRE intercom with a Dynon intercom. The intercom is being installed as a stand alone unit without a Skyview.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out the proper way to install the headphone and mic jacks and I think I had an "aha" moment tonight. I'm hoping that somebody can verify I have the plan right.

-It looks like a separate shielded cable is preferred for each headphone and mic jack for a total of 4 for a two place airplane. I'm using a three wire shielded cable for all the jacks.

-Let's start at the headphone jack. The three wires in the cable are attached to their respective tip, ring, and barrel on the jack and run inside the shield to the intercom end. The braided shield is not connected to anything at this end.

-The three wires at the mic end also run inside the shield and the braided shield isn't connected at the jack end. The PTT switch grounds the ring to the barrel ground via the wire at the barrel tab when it's depressed.

-On the intercom end, each wire goes to their respective pins except for all the barrel ground wires.

-Still at the intercom end, the barrel ground wires must all attach to the shields then the shields all terminate at pin 1 of the intercom connector.

-If this grounding scenario is correct, how do you physically tie all these wires together? This is what I'm thinking. Cut a window in every shielded cable and slide on a solder sleeve. Take the barrel ground wire, double it back, and tuck it under the solder sleeve. Add another pig tale under the solder sleeve and heat it all together. Do this for all the cables. Now you have 4 cables with 4 pig tails sticking out. Solder all these pig tails together and then have them terminate into a single pig tail which goes to pin 1 of the intercom connector.

Am I thinking correctly about all this? If not, how should this all work? Is there a better way to achieve this?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You have the jack wiring correct.

My favorite way to terminate a shields is to strip the jacket, then use a fine tip device to push the shielding aside to make a hole big enough to tug the wires through the hole. Then twist the shield braid into a wire.

Bring all those shield wires to one point. Add one black wire to the bundle. Then, use whatever method you prefer to electrically bond them - solder (you'll need a lot of heat and a lot of solder), solder sleeve, crimp barrel connector (my personal favorite).

Hi. I'm in the midst of replacing my old DRE intercom with a Dynon intercom. The intercom is being installed as a stand alone unit without a Skyview.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out the proper way to install the headphone and mic jacks and I think I had an "aha" moment tonight. I'm hoping that somebody can verify I have the plan right.

-It looks like a separate shielded cable is preferred for each headphone and mic jack for a total of 4 for a two place airplane. I'm using a three wire shielded cable for all the jacks.

-Let's start at the headphone jack. The three wires in the cable are attached to their respective tip, ring, and barrel on the jack and run inside the shield to the intercom end. The braided shield is not connected to anything at this end.

-The three wires at the mic end also run inside the shield and the braided shield isn't connected at the jack end. The PTT switch grounds the ring to the barrel ground via the wire at the barrel tab when it's depressed.

-On the intercom end, each wire goes to their respective pins except for all the barrel ground wires.

-Still at the intercom end, the barrel ground wires must all attach to the shields then the shields all terminate at pin 1 of the intercom connector.

-If this grounding scenario is correct, how do you physically tie all these wires together? This is what I'm thinking. Cut a window in every shielded cable and slide on a solder sleeve. Take the barrel ground wire, double it back, and tuck it under the solder sleeve. Add another pig tale under the solder sleeve and heat it all together. Do this for all the cables. Now you have 4 cables with 4 pig tails sticking out. Solder all these pig tails together and then have them terminate into a single pig tail which goes to pin 1 of the intercom connector.

Am I thinking correctly about all this? If not, how should this all work? Is there a better way to achieve this?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.