Dynon Layout Schematic for a Vans RV-4

TheFrisco

Just purchased an RV-4, OMG that things flies amazing but yes the panel is terrible. So it's time for a complete Dynon panel redo. Anyone has a full schematic where they put all the different components? ADAHRS, AP servos, transponder and radio boxes, EMS and ideally also the VPX

Thanks Robert

Raymo

I love aviation!
Robert,

This is all covered in the Dynon install manual. The ADAHRS and AP use the Dynon provided cables. The most complicated wiring is the audio stuff but that's all covered in the manuals too. The intercom, if installed, has a separate manual.

Bud_Keil

Robert, I too am upgrading the avionics in my recently purchased RV-4. I am going with the Dynon Skyview HDX plus a Garmin GPS175. The schematic for the Dynon panel is rather straight forward and covered in their install manuals. I had a bigger challenge working out the bus architecture for the aircraft. The airplane already has an SD-8 back up alternator. I'm still in the planning phase and will take the airplane down over the winter for the upgrade. Going to install a smoke system also, just because. Bud;)

andresmith76

I love flying!
Attached is Dynon's Skyview Data Communication diagram I found helpful while wiring/connecting.

Attachments

• SkyView Data Communication Connection Diagram (Single & Dual Screens).pdf
    862.1 KB · Views: 309

TheFrisco

Robert, I too am upgrading the avionics in my recently purchased RV-4. I am going with the Dynon Skyview HDX plus a Garmin GPS175. The schematic for the Dynon panel is rather straight forward and covered in their install manuals. I had a bigger challenge working out the bus architecture for the aircraft. The airplane already has an SD-8 back up alternator. I'm still in the planning phase and will take the airplane down over the winter for the upgrade. Going to install a smoke system also, just because. Bud;)
We have a smoke system. The bigger question now is where do I put the smoke system switch LOL

Setthrust

Attached is Dynon's Skyview Data Communication diagram I found helpful while wiring/connecting.
This is extremely helpful information…….. i do have a question, in the diagram where it says third party serial data device , is that referring to a Garmin GPS for example or another manufacturer Transponder etc etc.

andresmith76

I love flying!
This is extremely helpful information…….. i do have a question, in the diagram where it says third party serial data device , is that referring to a Garmin GPS for example or another manufacturer Transponder etc etc.
Correct. Any of the 5 ea. serial ports can be used with any serial device, as long as Skyview is configured properly (baud rates, type of data, (sentence structure, i.e NMEA) parity, etc.) and protocols for each device are set the same (Skyview <-> Garmin GPS).

Also - the Skyview serial ports do not have to be used bi-directionally. You can connect a device that receives serial data only from Skyview without transmitting data back to Skyview. I have a Flight Data Systems FC-10 fuel computer connected to a serial port to receive GPS data from my Skyview HDX. The Skyview receives nothing from the FC-10 but still transmits a data stream out on the same port. If you have the Dynon transponder, ADS-B receiver and/or GPS as shown on the drawing, Dynon recommends you connect to the serial ports as shown but it is not mandatory - those devices will work on any of the 5 serial ports.

Ch. 25 of the Installers Handbook (vers. 16) details connecting serial ports and gives guidance on connecting serial ports from multiple displays in parallel to each serial device connected; details the differences in data sentence structure; etc.

vlittle

TheFrisco

Here is Dynon's wiring guide:

Here is the complete electrical system for my Harmon Rocket (SV Classic). There are a bunch of avionics devices that I developed prior to Dynon (or others) developing equivalent functions, so just ignore them.

Vern

These drawings are amazing … What software did you use?