Dynon Skyview Airspeed Stream from WiFi

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
Greetings Dynonites. Hoping someone can help: I’d like to pull airspeed data stream from the WiFi dongle to a Pi Zero W. I’d like to display airspeed on a HMD.
Wondering if anyone has done this or is aware of literature...
papawithhmd_600.png

Thank you!!!

XPRSAV8R

I've wanted to display similar information on a glareshield-mounted HUD. I've searched for JSONs and docs, but haven't had any luck. I know this information and more is streamed to EFBs. Hoping Dynon can assist.

Worse case, I'm sure this information can be "sniffed" (unencrypted) to determine the variable if a known value (i.e. airspeed) can be identified. You would then need a program to parse the stream and a wm or GUI to format and display the content. Weekend project!

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
I was hoping someone from tech support could give us a hint...
;)

vlittle

Piece of cake, if you want a wired (RS-232) connection. For WiFi, a bit more effort is required using an ESP-8266 or ESP-32 as a serial to wireless bridge.

Of course, that assumes that you have a serial port available. If not, the only solution is for Dynon to open up the WiFi protocol.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There's obviously some integration documentation for partners, but I'm not sure what our stance is on releasing it more broadly. Let me look into that more. Sorry for the delay here.

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
There's obviously some integration documentation for partners, but I'm not sure what our stance is on releasing it more broadly. Let me look into that more. Sorry for the delay here.
Thank you. We’re trying to move this project forward again:
Displaying parameters from our Dynon would be more reliable than from a pod.
It will help us further study the advantages of this mode of display which could yield significant improvement in safety.
Please PM or email if you wish: jon@sharkaero.com
We hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you!
:)

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
Piece of cake, if you want a wired (RS-232) connection. For WiFi, a bit more effort is required using an ESP-8266 or ESP-32 as a serial to wireless bridge.

Of course, that assumes that you have a serial port available. If not, the only solution is for Dynon to open up the WiFi protocol.
Say, a serial port is available, how? Thank you. Please PM or email if you wish: jon@sharkaero.com

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the system that we use for communication with apps is admittedly a bit of a pain to develop against, and generally needs our support to get working. Because of that, we've been reluctant to publish it. But good news - with v16, we'll be streaming the already-documented serial streams. It's looking like it'll be a UDP stream on some port, for those of you technically inclined.

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
So the system that we use for communication with apps is admittedly a bit of a pain to develop against, and generally needs our support to get working. Because of that, we've been reluctant to publish it. But good news - with v16, we'll be streaming the already-documented serial streams. It's looking like it'll be a UDP stream on some port, for those of you technically inclined.
When will v16 be released?

vlittle

Say, a serial port is available, how? Thank you. Please PM or email if you wish: jon@sharkaero.com

In the SkyView documents, the serial stream formats are documented. They can be interpreted with another device (I've used PIC processors, ATMega 328p's, Teensy and ESP-32 devices.

Having said that, I see Dynon is planning on releasing the UDP protocol over WiFi. This is perfect for my ESP32 devices that I use for a next gen trim controller. Freeing up a serial port on the SkyView will also allow me to use it for ADSB and not lose my (custom designed) autotrim controller in my Harmon Rocket and S-21.

Why don't I use Dynon's trim controller? Simple... I released mine before Dynon did for theirs and it has more features and takes no panel space. It also controls flaps and fuel pump.

Before anyone gets excited, I don't sell these devices (any more). I don't need the pain and suffering of running another avionics company for limited rewards. My plan is to release all of my designs as open source... eventually. In the meantime, I am working on the Board of an amazing robotics system start up that does business with NASA, Airbus, multiple automotive companies (including one that does sexy electric cars), flight simulation, a giant Aerospace/Defense company, world-leading gaming device companies, and movie production companies (whew, I'm tired... no wonder they call it retirement).

Back on topic... I helped Dynon and Garmin agree on the original serial interface specs for their EFIS systems. They have somewhat diverged over the years, but it served the purpose at the time. The serial streams are very flexible for external processing, but we have run out of serial ports. Fortunately, Dynon's open wireless spec is coming.

V

RandomSquawk

I don't know if this effort is still alive, but v16 has been available for several months now. I'm interested in reading about any DIY efforts concerning the data stream.