Dynon Skyview in S35

Shawnb737

So after owning my plane for a year and a half and doing a ton of research on the direction I wanted to go I finally pulled the trigger on the Dynon Skyview complete system. I was a little skeptical prior to actually visiting Dynon in Seattle and spending 2 hours with the mockup cockpits and the sales person. During the install my IA had a great experience with tech support and customer service. Even after I got the plane back last week I had a programming question and I was able to call and get a live person on the phone. I also added an Avidyne 440 and a PS Engineering PMA8000G. I have put about 10 hours on the system since receiving it. The autopilot with the yaw damper works really good and the "tail wiggle" has been reduced significantly. The ADS-B weather is amazing! The system also makes me 2020 compliant ADS-B in/out. So far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_7562.JPG
    IMG_7562.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 343
  • IMG_7568.JPG
    IMG_7568.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 370
  • 59598117359__52B6D635-8B60-41ED-A728-02C4323452C0.JPG
    59598117359__52B6D635-8B60-41ED-A728-02C4323452C0.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 321

Corefile

What's up with the engine strip at the bottom? Something does not look right, looks like some of the gauges are over lapping, the MAP is overlapping with the LOP letters, and then on the cylinders temps it look odd, both the measurement lines and the green vertical looks like there are multiple images and one is higher then the other. Is that really how it looks?

Shawnb737

What's up with the engine strip at the bottom? Something does not look right, looks like some of the gauges are over lapping, the MAP is overlapping with the LOP letters, and then on the cylinders temps it look odd, both the measurement lines and the green vertical looks like there are multiple images and one is higher then the other. Is that really how it looks?
yep..That was initial setup from IA...He accidentally had it set up that way...The system has almost unlimited possibilities of layouts. I am still figuring out how I want the setup...Fuel tanks on left or right? Limits on EGT to let me know when I get above 380? etc... It's amazing the possibilities...

Shawnb737

yep..That was initial setup from IA...He accidentally had it set up that way...The system has almost unlimited possibilities of layouts. I am still figuring out how I want the setup...Fuel tanks on left or right? Limits on EGT to let me know when I get above 380? etc... It's amazing the possibilities...
I was able to clean up the display on the trip I flew today...It's amazing how many ways you can change and setup just the way you like it....
IMG_7599.JPG

Corefile

Does it have % of HP (horsepower) as one of the items you can show in the engine strip?

Shawnb737

Yes...also LOP or ROP....so many different ones...I just elected to not display it.

Raymo

I love aviation!
You're going to want EGT in the engine strip so you can properly lean during climb and cruise. Once you know where the cylinders peak, maintain 150-200° ROP during climb. Once %HP is below 75%, it is safe to operate LOP, so you'll want that widget too.

Shawnb737

Well during Climb and Leaning I use the other Skyview display and go 50/50 layout. Having my navigation display and my lean function activated. A much easier readable set up while leaning.

Attachments

• 70C8BBFF-F931-4A76-BE69-DAFBC6561536.jpeg
    70C8BBFF-F931-4A76-BE69-DAFBC6561536.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 241

MTozoni

I love flying!
You're going to want EGT in the engine strip so you can properly lean during climb and cruise. Once you know where the cylinders peak, maintain 150-200° ROP during climb. Once %HP is below 75%, it is safe to operate LOP, so you'll want that widget too.

I've been watching these videos, which were quite eye opening, and as he explains that leaning from the top of EGT is not a great idea, and you can lean to LOP from anywhere
The oversquare talks about it too

So I'm not going to use the lean assist on my plane at all from now on, and EGTs are thus not really necessary.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I think you may have misunderstood what Mike means. You need to know where the cylinders peak, and they ideally peak about the same time, to know when you are ROP or LOP. That doesn't mean you have to go to peak each time you want to go ROP or LOP. I don't use the lean-assist function either but I have the LOP/ROP widget on screen to help know where I am at any given time.

Shawnb737

There are so many techniques for how each person flies their plane and runs their engines. I elect to have it set up the way I do and run the engine closer to what the guy did before I bought it 1-1/2 years ago mostly ROP. I like to go fast and fuel is relatively cheap. My engine is just over 1000 SMOH and I have had zero issues and on all annuals going back 10 years the cylinder compressions are all 75/80 and up. I always keep my cylinders below 380. And in cruise my average is 350 after doing the #2 cylinder baffling fix. The whole point of my thread is to give Dynon the kudos they deserve with the system they designed. And also to let the non -Dynon people know about Dynon’s product. I haven’t even mentioned how great the Autopilot works. I fly Boeings for a living and it’s as user friendly as the one I use at work!