Dynon SV + GTN-65- + TOGA = ???

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Hi all,

Any Garmin and SV drivers out there who can give me some advice and tell me how I am supposed to setup and use this stuff?

I finally got my GTN-650 HSI needle to display so I decided to burn some REALLY EXPENSIVE holes in the sky and do a GPS approach just to see how well the GTN plays with the SV and naturally I have some questions...so...for those who have a Garmin and a Skyview can you please give me some advice on how you set up/ fly LPV approaches...in other words please tell me what you are supposed to see on the displays and how do you set it up...so here are my confused comments (from what I remember) and my ignorant questions...

-I have a GTN-650, two SV-1000 Classic displays, and the SV-Autopilot controller head...

-I wanted to fly the typical "T" style GPS approach so I set it up on the GTN, loaded the approach using the IAP on the side from where I was coming from, activated the approach on the GTN screen using the IAP WAYPOINT, I clicked Direct to the IAP from my current position I flew the course from the IAP and at the IAP published altitude.

-When established inside the IAP at the published altitude and on the "right base arm of the T" I was expecting to see a Glide Path Indicator (snowflake/ VNAV indication/ magenta glide path needle or something) however I did not see such a thing

-I have the HITS turned on so perhaps that feature eliminates the traditional Glide Path Indicator?

-I sort of expected to see the HITS boxes appear on the PFD and display the right turn to final and the HITS boxes then displaying a descent to the right but I did not see that

-I had the Altitude Select set at my current altitude...should I have set that below my altitude as if I was "cleared for the approach"?

-At some point I had the airplane level at the IAP transition altitude and selected the Altitude Alerter to a lower altitude

-I pressed VNAV and the AP descended as expected outside the FAF and then I saw the HITS boxes (dont remember seeing them before) started descending to the runway and it looked as I kinda expected all of this magic to look like so I was super happy...

-I presume once the VNAV is centered and the Glide Path Indicator is captured (still dont remember seeing that thing) that the Flight Director will no honor the altitude selector (I tried at an altitude 300 feet above the Minimums and it did not) and I presume at this point that you should set the altitude selector to MAP altitude (I did that)?

-A few months ago when using the GTN "trainer mode" in my hangar I kinda remember seeing on the right side SV-1000 (my MDF) the flight plan waypoint list and it showed the approach (and Missed Approach) fixes and the crossing altitudes of each fix appeared on the MFD screen however on my approach I only saw the fixes and a distance and a course to each fix but not the altitudes (is there a settings feature that I can use to make this happen)

-At the MAP I pressed the TOGA button and I expected the system to initiate the Missed Approach procedure...and...tell the FD Command Bars to display my programmed Go Around protocol of maintaining the same IAS bug airspeed and when I added the power I expected the command bars to rise up but I do not remember them doing that and also expected that I would see the HITS to show a climb and a course out to the MAP holding pattern but I really do not remember seeing that...the GTN screen however just showed the blinking screen "Activate Missed Approach Procedure" . I pressed the GTN screen and it then did what I expected it to do however at this point I do not remember what the climb command and/or HOTS displayed (what are they supposed to display)

-When I finally got established on the Missed Approach procedure the previously set Missed Approach Altitude on the Altitude Alerter operated as expected and the airplane leveled off at the selected altitude however at this point I have a vague recollection of selecting the usual VS climb mode.

So can someone PLEASE give advice on how you set this stuff up and what you see and I will happily copy your homework?!?!?

THANKS for the advice!!!

Last edited:

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Can other pilots who have both the SV and GTN please provide some guidance/ experience/ insight as to what I should see when setting up and flying a VNAV approach?

THANKS!!!