Dynon transponder IFR certification

mikehoover

I see on the Dynon product website that the Dynon says the transponders are "approved for IFR and VFR flight." There is a lot of forum chat lately that addresses concerns about being able to have the transponder pass the 24 month inspections for IFR according to this quote: "AIM. Ch 1-18-19, to use a GPS for IFR, it "must be approved" I.A.W. T.S.O. C-129. and that the installation be done I.A.W. AC 20-130A."

Will the Dynon transponder meet the C-129 approval. I know is shown on the Dynon website that it has certification for: "ETSO 2C112b, C166a and TSO C112c, C166a."

So my confusion is whether or not I will be able to be approved for IFR flight after I have my transponder tested every two years? Who specifically will approve it for IFR?

Thanks and regards!

Mike

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The section you quote is about GPS units. The transponder doesn't have anything to do with you GPS.

The transponder is a fully certified device, just like a Garmin 330 or a Trig TT21, just like if it was in a Cessna 172 right from the factory. You need it checked every 24 months just like any other transponder in any other airplane, where a shop checks the altitude encoding is accurate and the power output is correct.

If you wish to file IFR, you need a certified GPS, either C129 for enroute or C145 for approach. None of Dynon's equipment is certified for this. There is no requirement for a GPS to be re-checked every X months.

P.S.

Did you request a EASA certification for using the Dynon transponder in EASA countries?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon's transponder carries USA and European certifications.

Certification:
ETSO 2C112b, C166a and TSO C112c, C166a, approved for IFR and VFR flight

Compliance:
ED-73B, ED-14F/DO-160F, DO-178B, DO-254 level C, DO-260A class BO, DO-181C

We will have a software update here shortly that moves it to DO-260B, the latest revision of the ADS-B standard.

P.S.

Thank you for your answer! I heard from problems with the altitude encoder. My aircraft dealer tell me that the altitude encoder has not a certification for using in Europa. He prever a Garmin GXT 330 with ACK A30 encoder.
But my favourite is the Dynon transponder because of lower weight and costs.
What do you say? Can you help me?
Best regards!
Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In the next release of SkyView software, we will support using an ACK encoder along with our transponder. This will allow you to use a certified encoder with our certified transponder.

This release should be out next month.

aerofurb

Just a quick question for the OP.

Where are you based and what aircraft are you flying IFR with non-certified 'avionics' installed (ie the SV system rather than the transponder)?

P.S.

It's not for flying IFR.
I want to by a CTLS from Flight Design Germany with Restricted Type Certification as Europaen LSA. I don't know why I can't use the Dynon Transponder. I get different answers.
May be the problem ist a temporary necessary "Permit to Fly" until planned certification by Flight Design.
Peter

aerofurb

EASA still haven't finalised RTC yet so any EASA LSA aircraft have to fly on an EASA Permit to Fly. Neither RTC or PtF aircraft are allowed or likely to be allowed to fly IFR to my knowledge.

The advantage of RTC, if it ever arrives, is the ability to use non certified engines, propellers and avionics....

Mike Hoover as the original poster was enquiring as to whether the Dynon SV transponder can be used for IFR flight, hence my question.