Dynon Updates

Nw248074

I love flying!
I recently purchased an RV12 with dual Skyview Touch units. The units are 3 revisions behind. Can I download/upload the most recent revision only, or do I need to go back and download/upload all prior revisions to get the units current?
Thanks for helping out the newbee.

kellym

I love flying!
Just the most recent is okay.
Be careful. Get the firmware updates from Van's unless they tell you that the latest Dynon direct is okay.
Data updates you can get directly from Dynon, but again, be sure you are only getting nav data update, not firmware.
Van's firmware versions are specific to the RV-12, have all the right engine sensor settings, etc.
Wasn't sure whether you are talking nav data or firmware...be certain you have the right file before you upload.

tomkk

RV-12 ELSA
I've been updating my RV-12 system directly from Dynon for three years without any problem. I've customized my EMS window and didn't want that disturbed. The Dynon updates leave all settings intact as far as I've been able to tell. YMMV

breister

I love flying!
Just the most recent is okay.
Be careful. Get the firmware updates from Van's unless they tell you that the latest Dynon direct is okay.
Data updates you can get directly from Dynon, but again, be sure you are only getting nav data update, not firmware.
Van's firmware versions are specific to the RV-12, have all the right engine sensor settings, etc.
Wasn't sure whether you are talking nav data or firmware...be certain you have the right file before you upload.

I could be wrong but I believe the only thing which might be different specifically for an RV might be EMS values for a particular engine?  Thus, I suspect you did not mean "firmware" (the core Skyview software) but instead "engine monitor setups" which may be tailored for specific installations.

Nav Data and Firmware should generally come direct from Dynon (the software team which develops it). Other mirrored download sources MIGHT be safe if Dynon is off line, but personally I would simply wait if the site is temporarily down.

preid

Bill- Because Vans sold the plane and panel directly (unlike we bought the panel from a dynon reseller ) the firmware must come from Vans. dlloyd summarized it accurately.

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Bill- Because Vans sold the plane and panel directly (unlike we bought the panel from a dynon reseller ) the firmware must come from Vans. dlloyd summarized it accurately.

Only if it's an S-LSA.

Nw248074

I love flying!
Thanks for information. The updates I was refering to are Nav Data updates. Firmware updates? Something I must familiarize myself with since I was unaware of additional updates other than Nav Data.

breister

I love flying!

Only if it's an S-LSA. 

Ok, I assume that is because it falls into a certified category and so they don't want owners downloading the latest experimental software?

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Ok, I assume that is because it falls into a certified category and so they don't want owners downloading the latest experimental software?
It's completely Van's choice. The regulations for S-LSA give the manufacture control over this. They could say keep it up to date via Dynon, or they could say NO updates ever, or on a case-by-case basis.

E-LSA, however, Van's (any anyone else) gets zero say. It's your experimental aircraft to update as you wish.

Dynon provided firmware will update Skyview in an RV-12. It's not anything special because you paid extra for it through Vans.