Dynon Video Adaptor

Ron Mortellito

New Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
3
Location
NJ
Is there anything special about the Dynon Video Adaptor? It looks like a simple Analog Video/S-Video to USB which is fairly ubiquitous and available at much, much lower prices. Has anyone tried anything else?
 
Not sure, but it doesn't look promising. The Skyview has to recognize the adapter in order to use it. So although the video protocols might very well be compatible, that system recognition may not work with a different adapter. If you try it, please post the results here.
 
My adaptor didn't work and neither did the replacment. Support at Dynon ran out of ideas. If anyone gets it to work let me know. Adapter was powered up but Skyview never recognized it.
 
There is a USB video device class (UVC) spec. I don't know what the underlying OS is for SkyMap. If i was developing something like SkyMap I'd use an embedded OS that was already FAA certified. Webcams are pretty standard fare for almost all embedded OS's.

There are ways to make it hard for people to use any generic camera and if you're in the camera or camera interface business, that's what you want to do. Since Dynon's video interface is S-Video, a largely abandoned video interface, I suspect they really don't make these and someone asked for a video interface a long time ago and Dynon obliged them.

If Dynon wanted to enable people to use GoPro (and the knock offs) or infrared cameras or that sort of thing, a more generic USB interface like UVC would be a better thing to support. Maybe that's a feature request that could easily be granted, if they are using a canned embedded OS with a UVC driver module. Maybe someone should ask them for that.
 
My adaptor didn't work and neither did the replacment. Support at Dynon ran out of ideas. If anyone gets it to work let me know. Adapter was powered up but Skyview never recognized it.
What camera do you have? Had a few issues with mine, but turned out to be operator error.
 
Backup camera off Amazon, forget the model. Even without a camera the video adapter is powered up and I should be able to select video and get a blue screen but I don’t get anything. No video option appears under “tools”. Dynon is out of ideas. Walked through it all on the phone with them, it simply doesn’t work.
 
The Dynon Video adapter does work. SkyView uses Linux as the basic operating system, so for any adapter to work, it has to have its drivers installed in the Linux operating software. Just like the WiFi adapters, not every type out there will work.

I have the video adapter attached to one of my USB ports on the back of the screen, connected to a backup camera bought off of eBay, or Amazon for around $35 and it all works great. I only get a blue screen when I select video, with the camera powered off.

I only use it for taxing, since I have a Harmon Rocket with a long nose, and then I shut it off during my run up, until after landing to taxi back to the hanger.
 
Backup camera off Amazon, forget the model. Even without a camera the video adapter is powered up and I should be able to select video and get a blue screen but I don’t get anything. No video option appears under “tools”. Dynon is out of ideas. Walked through it all on the phone with them, it simply doesn’t work.
What model and serial number is your screen??
 
The Dynon Video adapter does work. SkyView uses Linux as the basic operating system, so for any adapter to work, it has to have its drivers installed in the Linux operating software. Just like the WiFi adapters, not every type out there will work.

I have the video adapter attached to one of my USB ports on the back of the screen, connected to a backup camera bought off of eBay, or Amazon for around $35 and it all works great. I only get a blue screen when I select video, with the camera powered off.

I only use it for taxing, since I have a Harmon Rocket with a long nose, and then I shut it off during my run up, until after landing to taxi back to the hanger.
hi, is it possible to tell me what camara you purchased?
 
Back
Top