EDC-D10A

speedy

Hello Folks,

since something around 2 months I am flying with my D-180 so far a very nice "piece"!

Yesterday I had to note - before my 2nd T/O -  that heading was off by approx 40° (!) - standing on the runway.
There is no GPS connected to the D-180 so far.

During flight I have switched the unit off/on (note B/U battery is installed) but nothing happended except the horizon went gray and a warning for resetting appeared (around 10-20 sec).

The whole flight nothing chaged on the false compass reading - always off between 30-50 ° compared to the stby comp.

After landing and shut down it seems to be allright again (sitting in the hangar compared to the stby comp, but I can not 100% proof that, since I had no chance to go to the compass rose on the airfield.

How high is the reliabilty on this compass system -purchased end of 2007, EDC Bulletin is affected iaw the S/N but no issue until now?  

Please reply!

The very best meanwhile!

speedy :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The first question - has the heading been calibrated per the procedure in the installation manual? If not, that would be the first thing to look into.

Also, is the EDC-D10A near any power or ferrous metal (either can cause magnetic interference)? The fact that things change between aircraft power on/off states implies that this might be the issue.

speedy

... and I restarted the aircraft with electrical loads on - no change im Heading Display between engine running/stopped...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That's hard to explain, to be honest. If nothing has changed in aircraft configuration (ie - nothing that's carrying power or that is ferrous metal has been introduced near the EDC), and it used to work, and you do still see heading change, it doesn't sound like anything is broken. You might try performing a fresh calibration and seeing if that changes things.

Also, you might try giving us a call at 425-402-0433 and ask for technical support. Sometimes going back and forth in a short conversation can get us to latch onto something that is non-obvious that is the cause.

speedy

There will be a looong trip the next days for around 30 hrs flight time, I will be back to you after that to let you know,

thanks meanwhile!

P.S. During the last flights everything looked just normal again (?). If I personally would not have been sitting in the plane I would believe in wrong instrument interpretation....