efis 10a to garmin gps

dfcpac

hi all,

new to the list my name is dan and i just installed a 10a in my rv-4. just finished uploading new programs and it's working great. i was told that you can connect your gps to the 10a. i have a garmin 295 older unit and don't see how to connect the unit?

how is this done or do you need a newer gps.

thanks
dan carley

davwol

I want to connect my dynon 180 to my garmin 295 also.
I have not found anything in the install manual specific for the Garmin 295.
I think I need some sort of cable from Garmin to make it work. Still trying to figure it out for sure.

Dave
RV9a finishing

dfcpac

i did read the install manual, it said to connect pin #22 to garmin 295, is pin 22 the pc connection? if so i don't see where it plugs into the 295. sorry but i'm new at this.

thanks
dan carley

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, pin #22 is the same as the PC connection. You'll need to undo this when doing updates.

The Garmin units do require a cable, which you can buy at a variety of places. This cable will have a ground and a serial output wire. You hook the ground up and the signal wire into pin #22 on the EFIS.

dfcpac

would you know a company name or store to buy this cable?

thanks again
dan carley

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Any place that carries Garmin avionics units will carry this cable. Go to the place where you bought your unit.

Or search for "Garmin 295 serial cable" on-line. I'm sure you find thousands of places.

funflying

Just an additional note for the Garmin user. Once you get the correct plug that includes the output connection that goes to pin #22, you will need to make sure you enter your Garmin set-up. I believe in the system tab, you will have to make sure the 296 to set to provide the output.
I have a 196, and couldn't get the data to stream. It was frustrating and I was examining the wiring and everything looked good. I called Dynon, and Mike lead me to the Garmin set-up to insure I was in the correct baud (4800) and then I discovered the addition settings, and then the stream occurred into the HSI screen. If the snow ever quits in Denver I might get to test fly the system.

Good Luck

bhester

OK I took the Blue wire from my Garmin 296 wiring harness which is data out #1 and put it into a plug that will plug into the dynon computer 9 pin plug, it goes to pin 3 which goes to pin 22 on the dynon. The ground wire is going to the aircraft ground. I know how to get to the setup screen on the 296 the baud rate is 4800 what should the output format be?

Please send a copy of your responces to my normal email: bobbyhester@charter.net
Thanks!